Question about the Florida Museum of Natural History

Bone Daddy

Question about the Florida Museum of Natural History :

My background is in planetary science. Most of the major museums with meteorite collections are more than happy to meet a passionate layperson and will take them into "the back room" to see the good stuff that is not out on public display. For example, if you visit TCU, Dr. Ehlmann will take you into the back and talk your ears off about meteorites, let you handle the rare stuff, and even give you a free souvenir meteorite to take home. Really nice and classy guy.

What is the FMNH like? Has anyone managed to sweet talk their way into the vault to see the good stuff? How are they about that kind of thing?
Edited by Bone Daddy

I'm lucky to have visited "the back room" to see some of the collections but I was tagging along with a friend who happens to be a "friend of the museum" (aka someone who has made a number of donations). I have visited two other museums and in both cases it was by invitation of someone who worked there or someone who was at least affiliated with them to some extent (collected with staff, old friend of one or more people there, etc.).

As JP said, it can't hurt to ask but it helps if they know you somehow.

Question about the Florida Museum of Natural History :
My background is in planetary science. Most of the major museums with meteorite collections are more than happy to meet a passionate layperson and will take them into "the back room" to see the good stuff that is not out on public display. For example, if you visit TCU, Dr. Ehlmann will take you into the back and talk your ears off about meteorites, let you handle the rare stuff, and even give you a free souvenir meteorite to take home. Really nice and classy guy.
What is the FMNH like? Has anyone managed to sweet talk their way into the vault to see the good stuff? How are they about that kind of thing?