How Neanderthals Met A Grisly Fate: Devoured By Humans

Nicholas

A fossil discovery bears marks of butchering similar to those made when cutting up a deer

Find the article HERE!

If the jawbone did indeed have the flesh cut off it, and we assume that the purpose was to consume it, it is still a stretch to conclude that it was modern humans that did so; much more so that the practice was wide spread and led to the Neanderthal's extinction.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Having butchered dozens of deer sized animals, I would add that I have never left cut marks on a lower jaw. There is no meat, and contrary to what the article said, removing the tongue would probably be done by hacking the lower jaw off with an ax, or by cutting through the cheek to the joint, which also wouldn't leave cut marks on the jaw.

I would say ceremonial butcher, starvation situation, or somthing similar. Far cry from a normal food source. Also, concluding that it was done by modern humans is a seroious stretch. as reported,(and that may be the problem, as many reporters don't understand what they write about), I would say bad science.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I agree I've had my nose buried in Anthropological texts for a few years now and this seems like a taboo situational case by one small fraction of humans and it is a very huge leap to try to prove causation by this one find.

• 4 weeks later...

I think there should be more research into something like that before jumping to such a conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

wait if someone was needed to exime this evidecn would they have a paleontologist to do it or a archeologist

... Also, concluding that it was done by modern humans is a seroious stretch. as reported,(and that may be the problem, as many reporters don't understand what they write about), I would say bad science.

Brent Ashcraft

I agree.

However, Fernando Rozzi accomplished his objective...MEDIA - PRESS...(but at what expense?)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

wait if someone was needed to exime this evidecn would they have a paleontologist to do it or a archeologist

CSI-Paleo :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Actually Anthropological sciences is the best fit for determining these issues, there are several branches which specifically deal with fossils of humans, human like species and primates. The profession is even divided further into specifics that deal just with Neanderthal which would be optimum for this study.

All fossils of humans and their ancestors are dealt specifically by Anthropologists, most of which also have a paleontology back ground. One must remember that it is the Anthropologist which has done the most work on such finds like the hobbits, Lucy, Ida and and most other fossils of this nature.

I for one think this was a fault of media rather than any expert, it may have been a theory or one select case and leaked out only to have the media grab it up and run with it.

Not knowing much about primitive man.... is it not possible another Neanderthal done it?? I think cannibalism is as old as man himself, but I'd hesitate to confidently draw any real conculsions based on this evidence.

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."