Neuropteris preparation

Strepsodus

Hi. I found this Neuropteris fossil in West Yorkshire, UK. I started to prep it but my etcher burnt out; therefore I'm hoping someone can finish it off by removing the last bits of rock and bringing the detail out more if possible. In return I will give you a fossil. I have many fossil types including:

Carboniferous plants

Bivalves (Jurassic)

Belemnites (Jurassic)

Ostracods (Carboniferous)

Crinoids (Jurassic)

Various Dinosaur fossils

Various fish fossils

Amphibian teeth

Shark teeth

Ammonites...

... and many other fossils.

The rock comes away from the plant very easily.

If you can prep it please tell me what fossil type you want and I'll show you what I've got.

I have attached two pictures; one before preparation and one showing what it looks like now.

Thanks,

Daniel

post-21610-0-74047600-1465667856_thumb.jpg

post-21610-0-74409700-1465668257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Strepsodus

Hi Daniel, an etcher might be a bit aggressive and unwieldy for this so why not have a go with some dental picks yourself. You can get a set really cheaply from ukge.com. It's a pretty cool plant fossil :)

Daniel,

I'm not really sure there is much more there to expose. :unsure:

I think this plant is preserved as a thin carbonaceous film, and that where it looks like rock covering the fossil, is actually where the carbon film stuck to the other side of the rock, and there is nothing there .

Prior to prep.

post-2806-0-44829000-1465676378_thumb.jp

This is your prepped photo:

post-2806-0-79579500-1465676385_thumb.jp

Looks to me like you are actually digging below the fossil level. :unsure:

I too, think an engraver is much to powerful for this fossil.
Not sure there is any prep required here.

Look at it really closely with a good hand lens - I think you will see what I mean.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi. Thanks for the replies. From the pictures it looks like I am digging below fossil level but I think the whole pinnule is there; it slopes downwards which makes the pictures look confusing. When I was prepping it I saw small rock pieces come away which exposed more of the pinnule. I think the pinnule is thicker than it looks, but as it is a similar colour to the rock it makes it look thin.

My pictures are a bit burred so it's probably hard to tell if it's possible to prep by just looking at the pictures but I think there is more of the pinnule under the rock.

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by Strepsodus

Hi. Here are some microscope images which will hopefully help find out if its possible to prep or not.

Thanks,

Daniel

post-21610-0-70675300-1465679675_thumb.jpg

post-21610-0-73025500-1465679709_thumb.jpg

Your microscope images look like you are digging into the fossil also. I would say it is at a stopping point.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If you think there is more leaf under there, I was thinking about a method that might work (haven't tried it myself): get some good glue (superglue or whatever) and glue a small stick of wood or toothpick onto the spot you want to remove, and when it's dry, pull at it and see if it comes off. Has anyone else tried doing this and does it work?

If anything more comes off beyond what you wanted to remove, maybe those parts can be split from the rest of the waste and glued back on. Whatever damage might occur can't be as bad as a bad etcher job, could it?

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Daniel. It's practically impossible for me to make a judgement on the basis of your photos. 2D pics can be deceiveing. One would need to see it live in 3D, which is why I'm suggesting you take it down to Brian Blessed at the fossil shop in Whitby before you do anything more to it. He would be able to judge it and also prep it for you if need be.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Prepping plant fossils can be difficult. As already suggested here, I'd do your next one by hand, if I were you. Below are some images of a small-pinnuled fern frond that I prepared using hand tools only. Unfortunately, one of the pinna was located in the rock shallower than I anticipated, causing me to go through it as well. With hand tools, however, you get somewhat a better chance to avoid this, or at least to minimize the damage done.

Tim

Before post-2676-0-17951600-1466338427_thumb.jpg Before

After post-2676-0-76461000-1466338427_thumb.jpg After

Searching for green in the dark grey.