Oligocene micros from the M&M Ranch in Nebraska

MarcoSr

Marco, I've used an artist's kneaded eraser with very good success in positioning tiny, fragile invertebrates for macro photos. It's also great for removing fibers and lint with a light tapping and kneading. ;)

John

Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried both wax and clay and really wasn't happy with either. Does the artist's kneaded eraser leave residue on the specimen? That is another problem with clay and wax. With the specimens being fragile, I don't like having to put them in my ultrasonic cleaner to get the wax or clay residue removed.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Great news indeed!!! :goodjob:

Tony

Tony

I definitely need all the id help I can get. The more papers and books that I look at, it seems the worse my ids get. Unlike shark or ray teeth all these specimens just look way too similar to me.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Tony

I definitely need all the id help I can get. The more papers and books that I look at, it seems the worse my ids get. Unlike shark or ray teeth all these specimens just look way too similar to me.

Marco Sr.

I understand completely!! B) That is how I feel about the shark and ray teeth! :wacko::rofl:

:fistbump:

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

John

Thank you for the suggestion. I've tried both wax and clay and really wasn't happy with either. Does the artist's kneaded eraser leave residue on the specimen? That is another problem with clay and wax. With the specimens being fragile, I don't like having to put them in my ultrasonic cleaner to get the wax or clay residue removed.

Marco Sr.

No; but after using it a while it will become a little more 'sticky' (much less so than clay). I use it under the microscope and can see if it is leaving tiny bits on the fossil. If it does, I'll grab another small piece and gently 'tap' to pick up any micro sized flecks. With experience, you'll see it's advantages outweigh any negatives. It's also great for removing the loose fibers and skin on your fingers while handling specimens during a photo session.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

No; but after using it a while it will become a little more 'sticky' (much less so than clay). I use it under the microscope and can see if it is leaving tiny bits on the fossil. If it does, I'll grab another small piece and gently 'tap' to pick up any micro sized flecks. With experience, you'll see it's advantages outweigh any negatives. It's also great for removing the loose fibers and skin on your fingers while handling specimens during a photo session.

John

Sounds really good. I'll definitely give it a try.

Marco Sr.

Hi,

I didn't take occlusal pictures of those jaws because they were very thin and I would have had to use clay to do so. Trying to mount a fragile micro jaw in clay to get an occlusal picture without damaging it can be difficult. However, if you want an id, you need to do it.

And if you try to put your small teeth on some very fine sand and contrasted color ? It would leave no track on your teeth and you could position them as you wish ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

And if you try to put your small teeth on some very fine sand and contrasted color ? It would leave no track on your teeth and you could position them as you wish ;)

Coco

Coco

Thank you. That is another great idea. I'll definitely try that.

Marco Sr.

• 2 years later...

Wonderful thread..:)

What an amazing variety of beautiful pieces, great photographs too. 

The ids provided are fascinating as well. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wonderful thread..:)

What an amazing variety of beautiful pieces, great photographs too. 

The ids provided are fascinating as well. 

I found several thousand specimens like in the pictures.  I also found almost two hundred thousand bone fragments that I could not identify.  Lots of the bone fragments were skull pieces.  The squamate (snake, lizard, and legless lizard) researcher has already looked through the bone fragments and pulled out lots of useful squamate bones.  One of the two amphibian researchers is now going through the bone fragments and pulling out useful amphibian bone fragments.  When he is finished, the bone fragments will then go to one of the mammal researchers to pull out useful mammal bones.  Going through the bone fragments takes a good bit of time because of the very large number of them.  It took me one and a half years, searching the matrix up to eight hours a day, for five or six days a week, to pull all of these specimens from the matrix from anthills  from the ranch.  Everything of scientific interest is already or will be donated.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

I enjoyed reading all of the information here. Thanks for posting.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

6 hours ago, jpc said:

Wow, that is a lot of work, M Sr.  

Jean-Pierre

The fossil density in the ant hill matrix from the ranch is incredible.  I recognized only a very small amount of what I pulled out.  Pulling all the bone fragments is really what took most of the searching time.  However, the Squamate researcher said that there were lots of useful skull pieces in those bone fragments.  I stopped my Virginia fauna studies during this time period that I was searching the ranch matrix.  I'm back now to the Virginia fauna studies.  If I'm not in the field collecting matrix or home processing the matrix then I'm home searching the matrix.  I probably spend at least 2,000 hrs a year on the Virginia fauna studies.  Being retired I have plenty of time and like to keep busy and really enjoy searching matrix.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I enjoyed reading all of the information here. Thanks for posting.

Thank you.  TFF is a great place to share information.

Marco Sr.

3 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Jean-Pierre

The fossil density in the ant hill matrix from the ranch is incredible.  I recognized only a very small amount of what I pulled out.  Pulling all the bone fragments is really what took most of the searching time.  However, the Squamate researcher said that there were lots of useful skull pieces in those bone fragments.  I stopped my Virginia fauna studies during this time period that I was searching the ranch matrix.  I'm back now to the Virginia fauna studies.  If I'm not in the field collecting matrix or home processing the matrix then I'm home searching the matrix.  I probably spend at least 2,000 hrs a year on the Virginia fauna studies.  Being retired I have plenty of time and like to keep busy and really enjoy searching matrix.

Marco Sr.

posts like this make me want to retire....  : )

Hi,

:default_clap2:Marco Sr.

:heartylaugh: JP.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2016 at 4:22 PM, MarcoSr said:

John

Marco Sr.

The ID's from Dr. Korth are great.  

I use a little yogurt container (or some-such) filed with fine sand (from the Flaming Cliffs, in my case) to prop up the little teeth and jaws for microphotography.  These teeth bleow all have roots.  There is no way they would stand at attention for the photographer, but a wee bit if sand... and viola!  I use tweezers to a manipulate them. These are also stereophotos.  If you want any hints on making stereopix, let me know.  

5f468354bd9ca_anthill1hyopsodusp4.jpg.94050d8fe32e317afb49d26072c50bcf.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, jpc said:

The ID's from Dr. Korth are great.  

I use a little yogurt container (or some-such) filed with fine sand (from the Flaming Cliffs, in my case) to prop up the little teeth and jaws for microphotography.  These teeth bleow all have roots.  There is no way they would stand at attention for the photographer, but a wee bit if sand... and viola!  I use tweezers to a manipulate them. These are also stereophotos.  If you want any hints on making stereopix, let me know.  

5f468354bd9ca_anthill1hyopsodusp4.jpg.94050d8fe32e317afb49d26072c50bcf.jpg

Jean-Pierre

Fine sand does look like the way to go.

Yeah I never could get stereophotos to work for me personally.  My eyes work independently since birth and I can't focus them properly on the sterophotos to get the desired affect.

Marco Sr.

This is absolutely incredible! love the bat jaws so so much! I'd love to see more microfossils from the ranch... maybe even get some myself <_<

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

And that's when we realize this is from 2016... Wow what a time to be alive! :DOH:

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

5 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

This is absolutely incredible! love the bat jaws so so much! I'd love to see more microfossils from the ranch... maybe even get some myself <_<

5 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

And that's when we realize this is from 2016... Wow what a time to be alive! :DOH:

Thank you.  I had planed to go to the ranch in both April and September of this year.  Unfortunately Covid-19 prevented me from making those trips.

Marco Sr.