coral id help

thelivingdead531

Hello! I found these two pieces during a visit to the Asheboro Zoo in NC in their dinosaur exhibit where they had a mound of dirt, sand, and rocks that you could dig through to try and find fossils. I believe they brought in the mounds from closer to the NC coast, but I'm not entirely positive on that. I'm fairly certain that they are coral fossils, but I couldn't find much info through Google. If anyone can help me identify what they are exactly and possibly how old they are I would greatly appreciate it. I will post more photos of this one and then the other piece below. Thanks!

post-21880-0-35808300-1467578418_thumb.jpg

post-21880-0-39665700-1467578706_thumb.jpg

Last picture from the first piece, first picture of the second piece.

post-21880-0-08086800-1467579482_thumb.jpg

post-21880-0-38600900-1467579518_thumb.jpg

Last two photos of the second piece. Third picture is both pieces together in a different light.

post-21880-0-04601200-1467579608_thumb.jpg

post-21880-0-29053700-1467579636_thumb.jpg

post-21880-0-17030800-1467579667_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. If I had to venture a wild guess, it would be a Solenastrea hyades from around the Miocene (5-23 million years ago). I'm sure our NC experts will weigh in shortly!

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Kane is close. It is most likely Solenastrea bella from the James City Formation (Pleistocene). The material comes from the Lee Creek Mine and is shipped to many places around North Carolina for people to search for fossils.

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you both! What about the second one? Any thoughts on that?

I'll have to chime in with the following:I'm not saying i disagree with the above assessments ,but for the sake of completeness/clarity:scleractinian taxonomy isn't easy/clearcut .

Hermatypic(reefal) corals show a lot of homoeomorphy,and EVEN WITH RECENT corals one has to resort to ultrastructural (ornament in the sub-millimeter domain) and molecular

phylogenetic data to keep species apart.Mussiid coral just being one example.

Multivariate techniques like ANOSIM and PERMANOVA are used to discriminate between species,because "by eye-recognition"" is well nigh impossible.

If all else fails, one resorts to the "part of the ",.,." plexus assessment.

Edited by doushantuo
  • I found this Informative 1

The second fossil is either brachiopods or bivalves that have eroded out of their matrix, and they have left behind the impressions, casts, and molds of their shells. Looks like at least two different species.

The second fossil is either brachiopods or bivalves that have eroded out of their matrix, and they have left behind the impressions, casts, and molds of their shells. Looks like at least two different species.

I agree with tmaier.

However, for my experience about reefal fauna, I would say they're bivalves (please accept this Id with a big question mark)

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Multivariate techniques like ANOSIM and PERMANOVA are used to discriminate between species,because "by eye-recognition"" is well nigh impossible.

The North Carolina Plio-Pleistocene were warm temperate to sub tropical and were dominated by only two species of coral; Septastrea marylandica in the Pliocene and Solenastrea bella in the Lower Pleistocene. It is not S. marylandica and Eric's assessment of S. bella is accurate based upon the abundance of that species in the James City Formation at Lee Creek Mine.

I would say that the bivalve molds are from the Middle Eocene Castle Hayne Formation also based upon the abundance of the mined material shipped around the state.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thank you all! I'm very new to this although my love of fossils has been a lifelong interest. I appreciate everyone's feedback greatly!