New Jersey green crystal (south jersey)

frankh8147

In my fossil digs, I find some rocks which I label as 'too cool to throw away'. I can't exactly remember where I found this but I'm very curious know what it is; it was either found in the Delaware River or Pine Barrens of New Jersey. Any ideas?

post-11657-0-51885600-1467755599_thumb.jpg

post-11657-0-98315400-1467755623_thumb.jpg

post-11657-0-66652200-1467755655_thumb.jpg

I don't know, but I'm sure Superman wont be happy.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Bit too green to be fluorite, and the crystal shape doesn't seem right either.

Wild guess: apophyllite?

But the exterior does seem to resemble wavellite, as Al Dente suggested.

Edited by Kane

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

why not

vauxite, sigloite, metavauxite ,or jeanbandyite?

Just asking

Edited by doushantuo

Can You do hardness and streak tests, that would narrow the possibilities.

My first impression is apophyllite as well, but there are many minerals that can have this appearance.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for your responses; a lot of them do look really similar. I am a fossil collector so my knowledge of rocks and minerals is very limited, how can I try a hardness and streak test on it?

Thanks for your responses; a lot of them do look really similar. I am a fossil collector so my knowledge of rocks and minerals is very limited, how can I try a hardness and streak test on it?

For a streak test rub an edge over unglazed porcelain. The underside of a toilet tank lid will work for this. Note the color of the residue left on the tile.

For hardness try to scratch glass (6), knife (5) or pennie (3) (old copper one).

Tony

Thank you! The streak test (which I did on the white part) was white. For hardness, I tried on the crystal part. First a 1957 penny and got nothing, then tried a knife and got nothing (it's really hard - and heavy too). I didn't try this with glass yet as I see this going badly for me so I need to think about how I'm going to do that if necessary, but for now, does that narrow it down at all?

It this had been picked up in Georgia I would call it Pyrophyllite and green bladed Kyanite

It this had been picked up in Georgia I would call it Pyrophyllite and green bladed Kyanite

I'm not too familiar with the nuances to look for in rocks and minerals to tell the difference between one or another but that does look really good.

Thank you! The streak test (which I did on the white part) was white. For hardness, I tried on the crystal part. First a 1957 penny and got nothing, then tried a knife and got nothing (it's really hard - and heavy too). I didn't try this with glass yet as I see this going badly for me so I need to think about how I'm going to do that if necessary, but for now, does that narrow it down at all?

If it will not scratch a penny then it would not scratch anything harder- knife or class..

This is probably a mica and Pyrophyllite is the most likely candidate.

It is possible that the silver and green colors are the same mineral.

Tony

Since a lot of the visual element used in mineral ID is difficult to capture on camera I'd suggest you find a local rock & mineral club/show and get a hands on ID. A local college/university might have someone willing to help. I've collected A LOT of wavelite and I don't think the outside structures are that. If its from the Delaware River I could have washed down from the Catskills! Thats why river finds are so hard to ID. Good luck!

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Since a lot of the visual element used in mineral ID is difficult to capture on camera I'd suggest you find a local rock & mineral club/show and get a hands on ID. A local college/university might have someone willing to help. I've collected A LOT of wavelite and I don't think the outside structures are that. If its from the Delaware River I could have washed down from the Catskills! Thats why river finds are so hard to ID. Good luck!

Thank you again for your help! I think we have a lot of great leads but due to my lack of knowledge with minerals, I will have an expert look at it, if possible.. I would hate to put this back into my unknown drawers so I'll continue to try to find a definitive answer for this one. Thanks again everyone!

Thank you again for your help! I think we have a lot of great leads but due to my lack of knowledge with minerals, I will have an expert look at it, if possible.. I would hate to put this back into my unknown drawers so I'll continue to try to find a definitive answer for this one. Thanks again everyone!

Please let Us know what You find out.

Thank You,

Tony