Beautifully Articulated Ordovician Crinoid

Bev

If you do this you will likely ruin the specimen. Crinoids are composed of calcite, which will dissolve as readily as the limestone matrix. Also the vinegar will likely soften the surface enough that the rough brush will leave obvious scratch marks. On rare occasion such fossils are replaced with silica, in which case the vinegar would help. Usually there is some evidence of beekite rings in such specimens, which I do not see in yours. At any rate, you should always test such a cleaning method on a less important specimen from the same site to be sure you won't damage the fossil.

Don

NO! The fossils is preserved as calcite. the vinegar, even very dilute, will etch it. This one is worthy of professional help.

I think that if you do not look for the help of a professional, you'd better left if as it is. It is yet awesome. :D

Edited by fifbrindacier

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Yes Tony, that is the DOWNSIDE! I even tried to buy this one off the guest, but no go! :-(

I would love to see more Ecotours develop around the country as to fossil hunting. If anyone is interested in what I am doing, I would be more than happy to share what is working and what is not working. Don't expect to make much money, but I find it to be loads of fun!

I led a trip to Sharktooth hill, in April for My mineral club, and a first timer found this perfect 5.5 inch megalodon! She found it within 10 minutes of starting to dig at the slow curve area! Did not try to buy it, but I wanted to!

post-16416-0-15054700-1468264499_thumb.jpg

It is fun to see the joy in the newbie's faces when they figure out what they found, and there are plenty of fossils out there for everyone!!!

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I led a trip to Sharktooth hill, in April for My mineral club, and a first timer found this perfect 5.5 inch megalodon! She found it within 10 minutes of starting to dig at the slow curve area! Did not try to buy it, but I wanted to!

attachicon.gifIMG_1356 (1).JPG

It is fun to see the joy in the newbie's faces when they figure out what they found, and there are plenty of fossils out there for everyone!!!

Tony

OMG what an incredible tooth!!! Yes, there are plenty of fossils out there for everyone, but sometimes I just drool over others' finds! :drool:

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

attachicon.gifIMG_1356 (1).JPG

Tony

When i come to the USA, i'll surely made a little trip there. :)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg