Turtle...turtle....

Frank Menser

This is the most complete turtle I found hunting the Holey Lands (so named for the gator holes common there) of West Palm beach - off US 27. It is very rare to find any large turtle material in South Florida, though pieces abound and are the most common reptile fossil. This plate which has both carapace and plasteron measures around 6.5"

post-1313-1243296440_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1243296479_thumb.jpg

Note the white spot on the second picture. Cats are quite partial to placing scat on their leftovers.

Be true to the reality you create.

How cool is that? Any further prep in its future?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Beautiful fossil! and big quality!

What's the specie of your turtle?

header2.jpg

http://MinerFossil.Jimdo.com

th_facebook.jpg

Turtles, turtles, ha.ha,ha

turltes ,turtles

or how dose the rest of the song go

I love turtles ( what age?) :D

Nice piece! Is that the miami limestone still, that far up in West Palm? I grew up in cooper city not far from us 27, and kick my self thinking of all the fossils I missed :o

Here's my largest turtle find from here in North Port

post-148-1243308604_thumb.jpg

post-148-1243308779_thumb.jpg

Dan

How cool is that? Any further prep in its future?

No prep for this one. The limestone is too hard and the shell material too soft and brittle to risK for what I would uncover... :rolleyes:

Nice piece! Is that the miami limestone still, that far up in West Palm? I grew up in cooper city not far from us 27, and kick my self thinking of all the fossils I missed :o

Here's my largest turtle find from here in North Port

post-148-1243308604_thumb.jpg

post-148-1243308779_thumb.jpg

Dan

If you go up 27 to where the powerlines intersect the hiway you will see a road heading west. That is the Holey Lands. It's right at the West palm Beach line. You have to drive several miles and look for new construction out there. Some of it is on Native American land and you cannot hunt without permission from the tribe. The limestone is older than the Tamiami you are used to-Pleistocene. At the very least you should find shark teeth.

The species I am not certain of. It is some kind of Slider-(painted turtle type)... :)

Be true to the reality you create.