More Texas Ammonites from Benbrook

Twinlukers

No sorry I'm offshore at work until Sept 1 then I'm having surgery so no fossil hunting for me probably until late Sept. :(

Oh no!! Nothing serious right? Or is it from all the big fossils you've been getting?

Come on you can tell us all about those tusks from the mammoth you found.

Good luck and we will try to find our first Dino bones!! Just for you!!

See you friend..

There is so much to see and explore out there. I love when we find these beauties!!!! I'm so ready for our next trip

Thank you baby :D:):D

Yes Baby it's you and me and the sulphur River next... You ready????

Thanks and everyone she loves the hunt and finds more then me!!

We both find the best!!!!!!!!...The weekend can't get here any faster!! This time I'm finding the biggest chunky you have ever seen!!! lol

Nothing serious buddy. Weight loss surgery so I can get slim & trim and find more fossils lol.

Oh no!! Nothing serious right? Or is it from all the big fossils you've been getting?
Come on you can tell us all about those tusks from the mammoth you found.

Good luck and we will try to find our first Dino bones!! Just for you!!
See you friend..

Nothing serious buddy. Weight loss surgery so I can get slim & trim and find more fossils lol.

Cool we'll post our finds so you will not feel left out!!

Good luck

Well their is never a bad time to go.. I've done my research and we have really hit the jackpot!!

If your serious just message me and I'll give you some sites that are public and you'll enjoy the hunt and dig..

Thanks

I will take you up on that! A friend and I are making tentative plans to go in the spring but it will all depend on our work schedules and the weather. We want to visit the Suphur river but this forum has made me curious about a number of other sites including Post Oak creek and Mineral Wells. She has a friend in Austin so we might also end up down in that area.

Last time I went to Texas was a couple years ago at the beginning of June. A different friend and I had decided to take a road trip and had planned on making several stops in Texas but we only managed to get to the Sulphur river after getting lost several times. One of the problems I ran into on that trip was the heat and the lack of shade so I want to get there much earlier in the year on the next trip. Which is funny when you consider that I live in Florida but I swear the heat was much more intense in Texas. I thought I had done plenty of research but that river turned out to be completely different from any other river I'd hunted in before. I'm used to the nice cool rivers here in Florida and the Sulphur is as unlike them as can be. Never knew that river water could be that warm and still have live fish swimming in it! And the mud was unbelievable!

Edited by Khyssa

I will take you up on that! A friend and I are making tentative plans to go in the spring but it will all depend on our work schedules and the weather. We want to visit the Suphur river but this forum has made me curious about a number of other sites including Post Oak creek and Mineral Wells. She has a friend in Austin so we might also end up down in that area.

Last time I went to Texas was a couple years ago at the beginning of June. A different friend and I had decided to take a road trip and had planned on making several stops in Texas but we only managed to get to the Sulphur river after getting lost several times. One of the problems I ran into on that trip was the heat and the lack of shade so I want to get there much earlier in the year on the next trip. Which is funny when you consider that I live in Florida but I swear the heat was much more intense in Texas. I thought I had done plenty of research but that river turned out to be completely different from any other river I'd hunted in before. I'm used to the nice cool rivers here in Florida and the Sulphur is as unlike them as can be. Never knew that river water could be that warm and still have live fish swimming in it! And the mud was unbelievable!

It's amazing to hear so many views on that River. Yes the water is warmer. But it's all about where you enter the river and how much you want to hike. I'll have a story after this weekend. I'm just hoping for a good time and some new fossils for our personal collection.

As for when you come here just let us know. In the early spring we have no major plans and we hit a lot of smaller creeks in the Austin area as well as the hill country. But we have our honey holes as well.

Thanks for letting us know and keep in touch.

Mitch & Rosie

Khyssa if you like the sound of Mineral Wells you'll really like Jacksboro. There's more material and greater diversity over all. Certain things like trilobites are not as abundant but they are all very small and pretty rare both places. Y'all are all welcome to hunt some ammonite sites in Cooke County once the water goes down a bit more.

• I found this Informative 1

Khyssa if you like the sound of Mineral Wells you'll really like Jacksboro. There's more material and greater diversity over all. Certain things like trilobites are not as abundant but they are all very small and pretty rare both places. Y'all are all welcome to hunt some ammonite sites in Cooke County once the water goes down a bit more.

Well we are leaving tomorrow for Sulpher River and we know your group is having an event on Oliver Creek. If we may ask for the contact person of where you are going in we might catch up with you guys.. But we have really done our home work on the Sulpher and

It's going to be interesting..

Let us know either way Bill

Thanks. Mitch & Rosie

It's amazing to hear so many views on that River. Yes the water is warmer. But it's all about where you enter the river and how much you want to hike. I'll have a story after this weekend. I'm just hoping for a good time and some new fossils for our personal collection.

As for when you come here just let us know. In the early spring we have no major plans and we hit a lot of smaller creeks in the Austin area as well as the hill country. But we have our honey holes as well.

Thanks for letting us know and keep in touch.

Mitch & Rosie

I will be printing this page out and adding it into the rest of the info I've been collecting on Texas so that I don't loose track of your name. I'm really bad with names. Thank you for your offer of showing us where to go, it is very much appreciated. It's always fun meeting up with other forum members, I've met some of the nicest people through here. If you ever decide to try fossil hunting in Florida I'd be happy to return the favor. I don't have any problems with hiking to find the fossils, it's the heat and direct exposure to the sun that usually does me in. I don't do much fossil hunting here in Florida during the summer unless it's in a nice shaded creek.

Thanks for the information! Small is not a problem for me once I get an idea of what I'm looking for. I find far more tiny fossils than I do big ones and it's not uncommon to find me crawling around on my hands and knees with my nose less than a foot from the ground when I'm hunting on a land site. I've been told it's a rather amusing site!

Kara

It is a very good site. I'm just saying there's much more of the same material (and of the same size) at Jacksboro, with the added advantage of more diversity. Somewhere close to 150 different species can be found there so it should not be missed if you're in the area.

I like Mineral Wells too. It's not such a long walk for one thing which is great for younger kids and the elderly. It's almost always open and when it's not you can park beside the road and step over the low gate for access. The city does not mind folks doing that at all and it's still a short walk.

Jacksboro cost $3.00 which you can pay at the nearby state hiking trail parking lot at an unmanned pedestal and take the sticker for your windshield. Then you drive a short way farther north on the main road and take the next drive to the dam where you park and walk the 3/4 mile or so across the dam to the site. You only have to pay because the dam is part of the trail but the collecting site is private property where the owner has kindly moved the fence that keeps in his livestock and left the gate open for you to pass through to get there. Don't neglect to pick up some conulariids in the flat area before you get to the long bank in the distance which has most of the fossils. Another thing much more common at Jacksboro is the shark teeth and even cartilage you can find there.

• I found this Informative 3

I promised I would post more from Benbrook and here are two more we found in a different location!! Home work on our research has really paid off..

enjoy!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg