Fossil Preperation Help

kauffy

Hey Everyone

I know there are a lot of good fossil prep enthusists on here so i was hoping some of you could help me with this large block of Eurydesma... I have already spent about 2 hours exposing the 4 shells you see....all i have to use is lino tools (which basically consists of different shaped craft knives). i think this piece could look good but im not really sure what to do...These came from a small unit in the permian, and these valves can only be found in 4-5 parts of nsw 1 part of qld and tasmania, they are also only found in Antartica and India....they are a good component to prove continental drift...Its hard to find one complete specimin in the small exposure, they have thick beaks but the rest of the shell tends to shatter and because they are being pulled from a volcanic grit and mud they are very fragile.

With this block, how should i approch it? try to expose all the shell and flatten out the rest of the rock? leave it as is??? ... I DONT KNOW???!!!!!

The large one in the middle shows one side of the valve but the middle is broken away (probably when i was hammering it out, i couldnt see it, only the one on the end) but...theres another one undernieth that seems to be complete....do i leave it as is, with the large one on top showing some of the one undernieth...or should i take the top on off exposure the bottom one? i like the big top on but im not sure....

Any help, suggestions, prepping techniques ect please comment!

Thanks!!

Chris

P1060829.jpg

P1060821.jpg

P1060814.jpg

P1060827.jpg

P1060825.jpg

P1060831.jpg

P1060824.jpg

P1060823.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest solius symbiosus

If you don't have an air scribe, you can pick up a cheap electric engraving tool. They do the job, but be careful, and use safety goggles.

how much would a cheap one be? and what sort of shops would sell em?

Guest solius symbiosus

$10-$15 US; Just about any major store. Wal-mart? They are cheap, and they work. That is what I used as an undergrad many years ago. Too, Dremol tools are a cheap way out for rotary burrs.

Try to get an engraver that recipricates (goes in and out), instead of just vibrates. Sears sells them, replace the tip with a hard drill bit, shaped with a grinder, to suit your tastes.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Hey Mr. Kauffy. Looks like you are in dire need of an air scribe some glue and even an air abraider. I would use a glue that has super powers of wicking in order to seep into cracks so small that you cant even see them. This would hold your very fragile parts together. Stabilizing it. With an air abraider you could very easily take off any excess glue without harly touching the specimen. Super glue is great for this! You could also use vinac and other glues too. Of course, this is assuming that you are moslty down to the shell material already. If not, i would use super glue to wick into or underneath the rock and then go on the attack with my airscribe, then stop and glue as necessary. This may not be of much help to you since you dont have the tools, but as suggested above, you can always start learning using one of those engravers. Good luck.

RB

Thanks everyone for the great tips!

Looks like im going to need to invest in some tools, i will probably just start off with an engraver and see how it goes....not prepared to pay big $$$ for an air scribe just yet!

But will definantly post the end results!

Regards Chris