From Here ------> Eternity

bmorefossil

A few days ago Russ and I decided to hit the cliffs in my kayak, (the big banana), but when saturday came I found myself falling off of a 20foot pile of dirt what we call falls here in Maryland but not only was it a fall but i was A falling off of it. So I start moving everything i was bleeding from the hand and the leg and arm but then i look down at my foot and my toe wasnt straight anymore so painfully i moved it as much as i could to get it looking straight. I get home, tell Russ what had happened so we decided it was best we didnt take the kayak in my condition, (can barely move my left arm) instead we should walk 10miles on a broken toe! haha, sounded great to me becasue i know your luck is going to turn around sooner or later. So Russ arives at my house and we talk for a little but we wanted to get down to hunt so we jumped in his truck and got on our way. I was the GPS on the way down and back and when we finally got to the beach we moved quick on our feet knowing that there would be fossils somewhere. After 20 min. or so I came across a nice deformed mako with great color. It would be a long time before we would see something else. We were finding small stuff and then Russ found a nice little orange meg with a red brown root, so we figured we were near the area where all the teeth were but we were wrong or were we I look over to where Russ was and he is no longer there so I turn around and Russ is way down the beach behind me playing with something on the beach so I go, "Great! he found a huge meg right behind me!" so i start walking back and he has this big smile on his face and i ask him what he found, to my suprise it wasnt a fossil at all but a really cool looking rock.So we look around but there were not many fossils because the area had already moved under water so we moved on. We walked and we walked and then i spotted something, finally something over 2", it was a nice meg with little wear to it. Then 4 feet away another broken meg, this one not as nice it had a broken root and was black. so now we are finding stuff, I found a croc tooth and were finding hemis. up and down the beach and I ask Russ what time it is. Now I wouldnt do this alot to the same person but its pretty funny when you do, so i ask him what time it is and decided to look down the beach, sitting about 20 feet away is a nice little meg. We both got a good laugh out of it and kept walking, Russ finds another little meg and we start looking in some falls but we were not finding much. As we walked away from one fall I see Russ messing with something on the ground and start to walk away, I knew exactly what it was and wasnt going to be mean and pocket something that he had found but had no idea what it was, so I told him he had found the largest red drum jaw i have ever seen with my own eyes, it was at least twice the size of any i have found. So i let him pocket that, so we hit the end of the cliff and turned around, we wernt finding anything and then i pull that move on russ, in a fall i spotted bone but i noticed that it wasnt mammal it was turtle! so i begin to dig away at it and Russ begins to wonder where i went so he comes back and is really happy that i found a turtle so now i have to carry this huge thing all the way back! Well Russ has his rock and I have my turtle and we are tired as it is from walking but we had to make it back one way or another so we walk and walk and then we made it to that area that was under water before and i find a 1 7/8" mako and a ocean going sunfish skull cap. Also a dolphin vert with feeding damage. Then I one of the best looking teeth I have ever found, its only 2 1/4 and it may have some feeding damage to the tip but the light color with the white bourlette and the cream tooth with blue and black spots is really cool! That was about it for the day so we walked the rest of the way back and were glad to actually sit down on something.

oh and Russ is really good at getting people interested in the forum, I hope they join and the last person we talked to said she was actually a member so i hope to see her around the forum.

Happy huntings everyone

post-1554-1244003370_thumb.jpg

post-1554-1244003376_thumb.jpg

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

When someone goes out fossil hunting right after getting hurt, is proof that he is "one Tuff Mother"!!! Good story bmore

RB

Awesome finds Steve!! Glad you and Phoenix had such a good time!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hey Bmore, I'm glad you posted! I will add my 2 cents in as well.

From here to eternity is right Bmore because I think we walked at least 12 miles that day; 8 of those miles I was carrying the rock that Steve talked about in my backpack!!! Must have been 10 pounds or more but I figured I wasn't finding too many fossils so I might as well get something :D Bmore went for a couple of yards up the beach before he noticed I wasn't following. I was trying to wrestle this rock out from between a rock and a hard place and finally managed it. It's a really awesome green color. I couldn't let it stay there :D

I didn't do that bad found a few megs, a fish jawbone and some more teeth. I normally don't collect shells but picked up a few to get through till the next patch of teeth producing area. It was a long dry haul for a couple of miles. I had a good time with Bmore, he was like a jackrabbit all over the place hoping from one fall to the other. I couldn't believe what he was just spotting on the surface of the fall. He was like "oh my God, come here" I thought 'oh great, he got a 4 inch meg' No just that grey and glack meg just resting there on the cliff. Lucky bum :D I was glad that he was having a good day and I enjoyed the trip and his company. He does talk more in the car than on the beach. He is almost alL business there :D

We both got a good laugh out of the "what time is it" and then as I looked he points down the beach and to my surprise a meg was just laying there, go figure. It was in his pathway anyway since we walked side by side for some time. He would have come across it anyway. Remind Bmore to ask you the time on out next trip! :D Then I was poking at what I thought was wood. I had my walking stick on it and was giving it the twice over, Steve noticed. I took one step away with my walk stick still on it "thinking, I really should pick that....." I couldn't even finish the though before Steve was like "that's a fish jaw" and hopped over to pick it up. He was respectful and handed it to me. I should hope so I was still poking at it, it was mine :D I did however later poke at a worn dolphin rostrum and walked away, Steve was on that too. :D

Oh, BTW Steve is a trooper, he probably walked 12 miles with what he told me was a broken toe from the fall before and walked in all still IN HIS BARE FEET! :faint: Kudos to you Steve!

Here are some pictures of what I found. If any one can ID the rock I would grealty appreciate it!

I picked up a green pecten too, never seen one before.

post-671-1244052685_thumb.jpg

post-671-1244052703_thumb.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

yea the rock really turned out nice, i forgot about your pet. wood you have a really good eye for it, me no not as much as i could hope for, I think its billfish but non the less a rostrum or "rostra"

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

The green rock looks a little like Serpentine maybe? Can you post a larger picture? Great finds both of you! I need to get back down to the cliffs to collect. It's been a couple of years.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The green rock looks a little like Serpentine maybe? Can you post a larger picture? Great finds both of you! I need to get back down to the cliffs to collect. It's been a couple of years.

And I need to get up to PA :D

You should be able to click on the picture and it should make it bigger. If not I will send another one soon. The rock is now at my fiance's house and I will have to take a picture of it when I go over there next. She really likes it a lot. She is into the gems and minerals so I brought it back for her.

Thanks everyone :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

...The rock is now at my fiance's house and I will have to take a picture of it when I go over there next. She really likes it a lot. She is into the gems and minerals so I brought it back for her.

That 'splains the effort you put in... :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

well the turtle is coming together very nice, if someone on the forum has a diagram of what the shell should look like that would help a ton.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

wow guys, amazing finds :) I'm glad y'all had a good time...sounded pretty cool. Steven, you're crazy for doin this with a broken toe, dedicated to your love of fossils, but absolutely crazy. Again, great finds guys :D:P:)

well the turtle is coming together very nice, if someone on the forum has a diagram of what the shell should look like that would help a ton.

I want to see pics of the turtle!

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!