KCMOfossil

I have been a fossil hunter for about two years and I suppose I have around 100 species in my collection. The vast majority of my specimens are incomplete/broken but even so I find them fascinating. Here in Kansas City I have enjoyed the Winterset, Middle Creek, and Sniabar limestone members in the Kansas City Group--all in the Pennsylvanian subsystem. Often, however, I am not able to identify the specific members or formations in the road-cuts that I frequent. Some of my grandchildren enjoy going fossil hunting with me, and it is great being in nature and hiking some with them too. Recently I have discovered the microfossils in some nodules/concretions and have made good use of my 10x loupe (I do not have a microscope yet). Beginning collectors like myself are fortunate to have a wonderful resource for this part of the country—Richard Gentile’s book called Rocks and Fossils of the Central United States, with special Emphasis on the Greater Kansas City Area (Univ. of Kansas Dept. of Geology, 2011). My copy is getting worn, wrinkled, and taped from steady reference and sometimes being in my backpack. The Fossil Forum has also been an important source of information for me these last two years, and now I hope to participate more actively. In addition, I hope to choose a focus or two to concentrate on and perhaps move beyond the beginning stages of collecting with this specialization. My thanks in advance to those members of the forum who will being responding to my questions.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

20 minutes ago, KCMOfossil said:

I have been a fossil hunter for about two years and I suppose I have around 100 species in my collection. The vast majority of my specimens are incomplete/broken but even so I find them fascinating. Here in Kansas City I have enjoyed the Winterset, Middle Creek, and Sniabar limestone members in the Kansas City Group--all in the Pennsylvanian subsystem. Often, however, I am not able to identify the specific members or formations in the road-cuts that I frequent. Some of my grandchildren enjoy going fossil hunting with me, and it is great being in nature and hiking some with them too. Recently I have discovered the microfossils in some nodules/concretions and have made good use of my 10x loupe (I do not have a microscope yet). Beginning collectors like myself are fortunate to have a wonderful resource for this part of the country—Richard Gentile’s book called Rocks and Fossils of the Central United States, with special Emphasis on the Greater Kansas City Area (Univ. of Kansas Dept. of Geology, 2011). My copy is getting worn, wrinkled, and taped from steady reference and sometimes being in my backpack. The Fossil Forum has also been an important source of information for me these last two years, and now I hope to participate more actively. In addition, I hope to choose a focus or two to concentrate on and perhaps move beyond the beginning stages of collecting with this specialization. My thanks in advance to those members of the forum who will being responding to my questions.

OFFICIALLY welcome to the forum! Keep up the good work! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Welcome to the forum from KC.

The Middle Creek and Winterset are two of my favorite units. The Middle Creek can always be found just below the prominent Bethany Falls Limestone, though, unfortunately, is often covered or unfavorably exposed. The Winterset, particularly the productive upper part, has a unique variety of structure, texture and color that becomes easy to spot with practice.

• I found this Informative 3

Context is critical.

Welcome from Romania ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library