ID help Please - Newbie willing to learn

(Julia)

It's bad enough to be a Newbie who doesn't know the language let alone the "age" and geo info... and my camera sucks.  I just read and read and try to figure out how to fit in with all of this knowledge.  I don't want to let go of this site but feel very small.  Someone who puts down a level that has to be achieved to be able to post... well, I'm already intimidated. There's so much wealth of information and I do love to read, but posting my finds as crappy and insignificant as they might be, so that I might learn is why I'm here.  I WANT TO KNOW!  PLEASE UNLOAD YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

20160903_185610.jpg

20160903_184832.jpg

20160903_185358.jpg

On 10/4/2016 at 9:49 PM, (Julia) said:

It's bad enough to be a Newbie who doesn't know the language let alone the "age" and geo info... and my camera sucks.  I just read and read and try to figure out how to fit in with all of this knowledge.  I don't want to let go of this site but feel very small.  Someone who puts down a level that has to be achieved to be able to post... well, I'm already intimidated. There's so much wealth of information and I do love to read, but posting my finds as crappy and insignificant as they might be, so that I might learn is why I'm here.  I WANT TO KNOW!  PLEASE UNLOAD YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

Hey Hi (Julia),

The item You posted may be a fossil, not easy to tell with this one.

It would be better to start a new thread than to tag it into an old one like this. More people will look at it that way.

We all started at the bottom and had to crawl before We could walk, do not feel bad about asking questions- that is one way to learn.

Welcome to TFF!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hello Julia. :)  @(Julia)

Sorry I missed this earlier this week. 

As you can see, ... I've split your post into it's own topic. 

Please do not be intimidated by the scientific language, or lack of knowledge.   We ALL have to start some where, right? And we all did. Knowledge comes with time and experience.

Posting pictures in a gallery, or the Collections area, and access to the Member Sales area, are the only areas restricted by posting limits. And the trigger is set pretty low. ;)

As far as geological information - that will come in time.  For now, you can help us to help you by telling us where you found it ( State, county, city or town) .

Take clear well lit photos ( you did :) )  and try to put something in the picture for a size reference (again, you did. Keep in mind that coins are fine in a pinch, but if you do have a ruler or measuring tape, or calipers, even better. ) .  Hands are not a good measurement tool, as some are bigger than others. :D ( Coin sizes are not always recognizable to those here from other countries.)

We can teach you to figure out the formations and ages. Just takes a bit of time.  Be patient. We actually are a bunch here who enjoy helping others along. You'll see.

Feel free to ask questions, and remember, Google is your friend. :D 

And the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. ;) 

Hang in there, and we will get more eyes on your interesting find - someone more local may have a better idea. 

Regards, 

20160903_185610.jpg.2f5deb997653074fe3c317ea4b775e81.jpg    20160903_184832.jpg.b1b7a44b95097924242560493ff3d766.jpg    20160903_185358.jpg.cd07069de6f0d12c98c4d52d59562b35.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cast of an Ammonite chamber. It was just a little planed off before it was freed from the matrix. 

I agree with ammonite. It's much too worn and incomplete to identify which one though. Have you found other ammonites at your site? 

On 10/4/2016 at 9:49 PM, (Julia) said:

I don't want to let go of this site but feel very small.

Don't let go! You'll be identifying crinoids and brachiopods like a champion soon enough :)

It's easy to feel intimidated when you first start. Knowing nothing about a topic and participating on a forum where seemingly everyone knows more than you can be pretty scary.

Read everything you can, lurk, and don't be afraid to post when you have some knowledge to offer. Like fossildude said we all have to start somewhere :).

I'll chime in as well. It is definitely a fragment of an ammonite. You have the right eye, keep looking! The scientific terms will come with time. At first they are VERY confusing but ultimately, they help to clarify description and location of parts of an animal or plant. They don't require local knowledge or knowledge of a local language for understanding.

Start your quest by determining what rock formations you are collecting in. Since you are in Texas,  https://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/aquifer/GAT/   is a great resource.

Then, you can search the web for fossils from those formations. The Houston Gem and Mineral Society has a great list of publications on specific Texas fossils. http://www.hgms.org/publications.html

Last but not least... don't be a stranger around here. :D

• 4 weeks later...