Finding Very Rare Amphibians in Coal

fossilcrazy

Searching in Cannel Coal, I previously thought unproductive, yielded a rare Tremnospodyl Amphibian called Erpetosaurus radiatus. I have never found one of these before and consider myself lucky to have found this one. The very bottom layer of the Linton Cannel coal is very tough and just made of Sporite. Seldom do I ever look in the layer, there is just nothing there to see; or so I thought. 

Back in September, I knew I had a nice skull, I just didn't know what it was. Well thanks to Fossil Forum member Dave ( you know who you are ) the skull has been identified.  My skull is more complete than the drawing. I'm hoping the researcher finds it helpful.

The color drawing is the closest amphibian I could find to what an Erpetosaurus looked like. Credits for this drawing go to Russian artist Dmitry Bogdanov.  After Googling the name Erpetosaurus, I found there is precious little information on this Amphibian.

Enjoy my newest Linton find. 

PA170002R.JPG

PA170001R.JPG

Erpetosaurus comparison.jpg

Apachesaurus1DB.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Another beautiful Linton vertebrate to add to your list!   :wub: 

Congratulations, John!

Where is it going to be studied?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Stunning find, John!  Indeed, where will it be studied?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That's amazing!!:fistbump:

Well that pretty much seals the deal for VFOTM if its eligible and submitted. Might as well just give it to him now...rofl

...I'm back.

2 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

That's amazing!!:fistbump:

Well that pretty much seals the deal for VFOTM if its eligible and submitted. Might as well just give it to him now...rofl

Found in September....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

All my scientifically significant material goes to a Pennsylvania Professor who is actively studying Linton material or shares work with researching students on the same.

I have stop submitting Linton material for FOTH submission; but will continue to share interesting finds in posts. Glad to have fellow FF members share my interesting

specimens. The heyday has gone by but occasionally I turn up something.  

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Found in September....

Still an amazing specimen. I didn't know. Thanks John, I didn't see that in the post or I missed the original. Still good to know.

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

1 hour ago, fossilcrazy said:

All my scientifically significant material goes to a Pennsylvania Professor who is actively studying Linton material or shares work with researching students on the same.

I have stop submitting Linton material for FOTH submission; but will continue to share interesting finds in posts. Glad to have fellow FF members share my interesting

specimens. The heyday has gone by but occasionally I turn up something.  

It's a fantastic find. I admire your willingness to just freely give it to science. I know several people who have found specimens that, in my opinion, should have been given to a museum or university for study, but kept them and are kept tucked away. My wife and I have one rule that is really a law, but any and all significant finds will be donated for study. 

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

John, that is one of the very best vertebrate fossils I've ever seen posted on the Forum. Huge congratulations. Thanks for sharing this and the other amazing stuff you've posted so far.  

Just fantastic - thanks for sharing!

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

On 22/10/2016 at 4:46 AM, Raggedy Man said:

It's a fantastic find. I admire your willingness to just freely give it to science. I know several people who have found specimens that, in my opinion, should have been given to a museum or university for study, but kept them and are kept tucked away. My wife and I have one rule that is really a law, but any and all significant finds will be donated for study. 

My wife and I have one rule that is really a law, but any and all significant finds will be donated for study. "

Well said indeed.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

A very worthy specimen ... hope to see you soon. By the way a group of 4-5 from the Buffalo area are coming up to hunt at JD on Saturday but they sure wont be finding any amphibians they will have to settle for lowly crinoids, cystoids and trilos............ Finding has been pretty good last few weeks

Wonderful find and even better to see it being given to research.

Mike D'Arcy