Two Fossils

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK, this last Saturday, we went up into Tennessee and found a couple of sites. I picked up some new brachs and this first thing. Looks like some type of Bryozoan, but I do not have it in my books. Any ideas?? The second item is a Triceratops tooth I bought. A little over 1 3/4 inches total. Bought it from EX..........com from Steve H. (You can PM me if you can't figure it out) Really nice tooth and good deal.

Very cool!!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

What the heck is that thing you found? It doesn't really strike me as being a bryozoan...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool tooth. Have people found dinosaur bones with bite marks from teeth like that? I guess for that tooth, it would be petrified wood with bite marks. How about boes with marks from meat eaters?

Pentax Optio W60

Very cool tooth. Have people found dinosaur bones with bite marks from teeth like that? I guess for that tooth, it would be petrified wood with bite marks. How about boes with marks from meat eaters?

I have a hadrosaur vertebrae with some wicked bite marks in it. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow

I have a feeling that the item you found is either a Crinoid Holdfast or a Crinoid stem with Cirri. Solius would be the best to ID. What age of rocks did you find it? Very cool piece and a fairly rare find either way. Cool tooth too!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest N.AL.hunter
I have a feeling that the item you found is either a Crinoid Holdfast or a Crinoid stem with Cirri. Solius would be the best to ID. What age of rocks did you find it? Very cool piece and a fairly rare find either way. Cool tooth too!

Either Ordo or Silur. Found about 40 miles south of Nashville. If I can get a more magnified image, I'll post it later. I don't get off work until 10pm central, so it will be tomorrow. Under my magnifying glass, does not look like Crinoid material, but I'll look more carefully. thanks

I'm the last person to claim expertise in this area, but frankly it looks for all the world like a small tree branch. :)

Be true to the reality you create.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have examined it under higher power magnification and it is definitely not crinoidal. Pretty sure a bryozoan. Looks like it would really clean up well with some very fine abrasion. Going back to the same spot tomorrow. Hope to find more.

OK, this last Saturday, we went up into Tennessee and found a couple of sites. I picked up some new brachs and this first thing. Looks like some type of Bryozoan, but I do not have it in my books. Any ideas?? The second item is a Triceratops tooth I bought. A little over 1 3/4 inches total. Bought it from EX..........com from Steve H. (You can PM me if you can't figure it out) Really nice tooth and good deal.

Cool ;)

sig.jpg