The Nicest Bestest Scaphites Ive Ever Seen!

RJB

I know a few people who do not visit this forum nor are they members for whatever reasons they have, but some of the folks I know have some incredible fossil collections. I dont think my buddy will get mad for showing this, but it is easily the best scaphities ive ever seen!!! This truly incredible specimen was found in a creek in South Dakota on a private ranch. If I remember correctly, I think it measurs about 6 or 7 inches at its widest points. Ive seen lots of these, and some very colorful, but not all firery red like this!!! Just freakin amazing. This could be the worlds finest?!!! Enjoy.

RB

Guest N.AL.hunter

Maybe you could answer a question for me... I found some of these, but smaller, in Wyoming and they all have a white substance on them. It covers them completely. Someone told me once that I could buff off the white stuff and they would be "pearly" under it. Have you heard this or experienced something like it?

Maybe you could answer a question for me... I found some of these, but smaller, in Wyoming and they all have a white substance on them. It covers them completely. Someone told me once that I could buff off the white stuff and they would be "pearly" under it. Have you heard this or experienced something like it?

Hey N.al.hunter. I have heard of a partially soft crusty powdery surfaces on ammonoids where you can gently sand,buff,airabrasive it off and come out with some beautiful stuff, but even then, you have to be carefull with buffing because of the heat generated and it can make layers "pop" off. But also, if you can find a certain layer that has the most color it can be a challenge to take off the top layers and follow that layer throughout? And even then you may have to 'bring' out the color using special cleaning products. It can be quite the process and take quite a number of steps to actually get what you want or what mother nature will allow? And because this is not a science, sometimes it can work out very easily, but that is hardly the case.

RB

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK, you have successfully convinced me NOT to touch them! But in your answer you have also taught me something, that they have different layers of Pearly to them. I didn't realize that.

OK, you have successfully convinced me NOT to touch them! But in your answer you have also taught me something, that they have different layers of Pearly to them. I didn't realize that.

I did not mean to 'convince' you not to touch them. Its just that,, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Just take your time, use lots of patience and im sure you will end up with some nice specimens.

RB

holy doodles, that is one heck of a nice ammo! and Del, sometimes the colour can be very different between layers. here is a pic of a partial ammonite I found years ago in a creek. The area with the nice colours was exposed to the moving water in the creek for who knows how long and some of the shell got worn off. The white shell area is where I broke off some more rock to expose more of the ammonite.

RJB..... Thats a beautiful colour.... are you going to try and get the middle out or are they rarely preserved...?

bone digger...could you of stuck that bit back on and prepped down to the red bit....although how fragile is the red surface, I bet microns thick ?

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

RJB..... Thats a beautiful colour.... are you going to try and get the middle out or are they rarely preserved...?

bone digger...could you of stuck that bit back on and prepped down to the red bit....although how fragile is the red surface, I bet microns thick ?

Hey Terry, I will be doing nothing to that ammo. It is not mine. I could only wish in my dreams that it was mine?!!!

RB

Have to go on the other side on this. Yes you can find a pretty red layer under the white stuff, but in so doing you are removing part of the fossil it self. Personally, I look at those as being the same thing as the polished Madagascar ammonite you see hawked on Ebay. Looks great on a coffee table, but not something I would put in a serious collection.

What the hay...i'm a purist... B)

Be true to the reality you create.

still could, the red ammolite is still under the white shell. About half the ammonite is still in the rock.

Have to go on the other side on this. Yes you can find a pretty red layer under the white stuff, but in so doing you are removing part of the fossil it self. Personally, I look at those as being the same thing as the polished Madagascar ammonite you see hawked on Ebay. Looks great on a coffee table, but not something I would put in a serious collection.

to each his own! I wouldn't mind having some of both :)

Hey Frank. Here is why you 'purist' are missing out. Some of the nicest, purdiest, best looking and most expensive ammos in the world are prepped following a certain layer or two because lots of the shell material is commonly found on the 'opposing' piece of rock. How you can put them into the same catagory as the ones from madagascar I do not understand. But then again, I dont have to understand. Ive got some in my collection. Also, you can go to any rockshop in the world, any gem, mineral and fossil show in the world and find tons of ammos from Madagascar, but try finding even one of these at any rockshop or show in the intire world. You aren going to find many.

RB

Ps, (that big one we are posing with will be worth about 30,000 bucks when its done), so since your a purist and arent interested in any of these madagascar wannabees, just send em my way if you ever find any. Thanks

Simply beautiful RJB! I find myself looking at the third pic from the left the most.Right above the cooler looks like some beautiful country ;)

RJB,

I know you've shown some of these pics before, but DANG! Could you provide a little more background info......?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey Frank. Here is why you 'purist' are missing out. Some of the nicest, purdiest, best looking and most expensive ammos in the world are prepped following a certain layer or two because lots of the shell material is commonly found on the 'opposing' piece of rock. How you can put them into the same catagory as the ones from madagascar I do not understand. But then again, I dont have to understand. Ive got some in my collection. Also, you can go to any rockshop in the world, any gem, mineral and fossil show in the world and find tons of ammos from Madagascar, but try finding even one of these at any rockshop or show in the intire world. You aren going to find many.

RB

Ps, (that big one we are posing with will be worth about 30,000 bucks when its done), so since your a purist and arent interested in any of these madagascar wannabees, just send em my way if you ever find any. Thanks

:D Actually I don't feel I am "missing out" any more than when I see quartz crystals that are polished to make their facets more appealing. It's not about the looks (those are quite lovely). My wife has some polished Madagascars in her collection (that's her choice).

post-1313-1245094881_thumb.jpg

Many fossils have to be prepped or have some degree of restoration, I get that. But an unpolished ammonite tells me more of it's story. I am in this hobby to learn and relax - not to make money, which changes my perspective. Glad to hear you are profiting :D .

Frankly, I love the one you guys are posed with in the field! That (as is) is worth more to me than the polished job.

As for sending them your way....I used to catch Hell from my rock and mineral buds because I would buy gem quality crystals and not facet them, prefering the way nature made them.

Be true to the reality you create.

:D Actually I don't feel I am "missing out" any more than when I see quartz crystals that are polished to make their facets more appealing. It's not about the looks (those are quite lovely). My wife has some polished Madagascars in her collection (that's her choice).

post-1313-1245094881_thumb.jpg

Many fossils have to be prepped or have some degree of restoration, I get that. But an unpolished ammonite tells me more of it's story. I am in this hobby to learn and relax - not to make money, which changes my perspective. Glad to hear you are profiting :D .

Frankly, I love the one you guys are posed with in the field! That (as is) is worth more to me than the polished job.

As for sending them your way....I used to catch Hell from my rock and mineral buds because I would buy gem quality crystals and not facet them, prefering the way nature made them.

I dont profit much frank. That big expensive one is going to my youngest son. I traded with another and gave one to my twin brother in Australia. Sure, I could use the money, but money has always been secondary with me.

RB

RJB, your ammos are delicious, I am guessing they are from Alberta with colors like that and the price only from Alberta! I also found a big one 22"+ covered in gem ammolite I recently got it appraised at 50,000 bucks when is done! :)

RJB, your ammos are delicious, I am guessing they are from Alberta with colors like that and the price only from Alberta! I also found a big one 22"+ covered in gem ammolite I recently got it appraised at 50,000 bucks when is done! :)

Well, I just got a little 18 incher, but not from alberta though. No matter what, it will be very very nice like yours. Amazing what a rock can be worth isnt it!!!???

RB

It is crazy, I absolutely love them not for their commercial value but for their beauty, I can't get over the fact that at one point in time these critters were alive and now we can enjoy them!