Uncle Siphuncle

I am fascinated in cowries my whole life !

Yours are great ! Congrats ... :envy:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I'll pass along y'all's accolades.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice finds Dan and congrats to the missus. Not many people go to paradise to find fossils. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 1 year later...

I know this is a preeeetty old post but I just couldn't help myself, never really seen someone "dig" for fossils in Hawaii. The "escargot" or turbo appears to be mostly fossilized Turbo sandwicensis (most likely an ancestor of it! this species is endemic to Hawaii as you can see from its name). Most of the cowries I would assume to be Snakehead cowries (Cypraea (Monetaria) caputophidii) or at least very related to it, these are after all, one of the most common cowries shells you will see in the beaches of Hawaii. This unidentified shell here to the left appears to be a triton, not sure what type because Hawaii seems to have many species of them. Here is a very good website for Hawaii shells you could use if you were interested  . You are pretty correct about the locals, many believe tourists should only leave footprints. They even have myths about that if you take rocks from Hawaii that you will be cursed from Pele! Regardless, these would be pretty interesting specimens if someone wanted to study endemism in Hawaii! In fact, most of the species I listed are unique to Hawaii!582e760677ec4_QwaSiphocypraeaEtc1aSite825111016.JPG.3cd5461bed2e0054be97931dd450009f.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I will be going to Hawaii in September 2018. Are you able to share specific locations on where to look. Thank you.

4 hours ago, DanKurek said:

I will be going to Hawaii in September 2018. Are you able to share specific locations on where to look. Thank you.

I just drove along the whole west and north shorelines, jumping out wherever I saw gritty, cream colored, eroding layers and boulders.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."