Australian Pliocene Pallimnarchus Prep (Work in progress)

Ash

Troy, your step-by-step prep posts are always a delight.  Well done, sir.  :)  :dinothumb:

Are there notable differences that help you ID this specimen as Pallimnarchus pollens vs. Pallimnarchus gracilis?  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Troy, your step-by-step prep posts are always a delight.  Well done, sir.  :)  :dinothumb:

Are there notable differences that help you ID this specimen as Pallimnarchus pollens vs. Pallimnarchus gracilis?  

Im unsure on that, a friend replied to the pictures I emailed with this:

"There is an article in Memoirs of Qld Mus Vol 20 Pt 3 by Ralph Molnar on Pallimnarchus. Yours looks very similar but the symphasis does not extend as far rearward relative to tooth sockets. This may be individual variation or given there are possibly two species of Pallimnarchus (P pollens & P gracilis) it may reflect species variation."

I'll find the article and give it a read/scan and post it up.

Actually, if this is P.pollens I'll post a pic comparing it to my other one..you'll see how beastly the other must have been :o

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I wonder if it is this article:  A review of the plio-pleistocene crocodilian genus Pallimnarchus ?  Someone should be able to rustle that one up.  ;)

Variation within the species or between genders likely creates a wide range of size within a 'croc' species.  If no other features are diagnostic, the best you can do may be Pallimnarchus sp.

I sent a request for the full text. Fingers crossed.

Yeah there's a lot of difference between male and female in modern crocodilians. I wonder if it's possible to estimate size of animal from the jaw? Maybe roughly but not nescessary correct..

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Dunno what happened to my posts above. Was doing it via mobile and the text went all odd sizes etc? And i couldnt work out how to upload a photo from my phone. If i clicked "choose files" it took me to the top of the screen where it says "reply" so i clicked that and it took me down to this text box again?

Anyways, compared to my Pleistocene Pallimnarchus. It was a big boy..

Whether the differences are to do with size, sexual dimorphism or species I am unsure.

Pallimnarchus sp. Lower Jaws compared.

31234240941_9933915f4b_c.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ash said:

Awesome.  :dinothumb:

You might see if you can email one of the authors (via Researchgate) some photos of your finds and get an expert opinion.  ;)

I have Dr Molnars email, i shall contact him :)