Arrowhead

jax

So This is my first try at making a point. I have spare time on the weekends when Im babysitting my son. (too young to fossil hunt) This is out of a hunk of Jasper I picked up in the diamond field in Arkansas. Tell me what you think

Justin

post-221-1244856915_thumb.jpg

post-221-1244856931_thumb.jpg

Nice!

I know better than to even try...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What did you use?

I got the flake off with a hammer, then worked it with a screw, and a pair of needlenose to nock chips off. I know thats not the correct way to do it, but im just learning...

Great job.

I don't know anything about points. Does that shape have a name, or is it a custom jax point?

I too would like to learn the art of knapping.

Pentax Optio W60

...I too would like to learn the art of knapping.

Well, I have mastered the art of napping :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cool. Great first try. I've always wanted to try flint knapping but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I met this guy that uses antler? Maybe just when it gets down to the final flaking. Nice job. :)

Not bad, get a thick piece of vegetable tan leather the size of your hand, and a good thick piece of deer antler and try that. Place the piece of flint in your palm with the leather in it and use the big end of the antler to flake off the excess. That is rendezvous 101 for historical re-enactors.

those who are not traditionalists use rounded and flattened copper rods mounted in wooden handles for pressure flaking. you can vary the pressure "inward" on the edge of the blank before putting the pressure downward to vary the length of the flakes. copper is "sticky" enough on the surface of chert or obsidian to control the pressure without as much slippage as other materials would have.

much of the material knappers normally use has been heat treated to make it more workable. working "raw" chert or other concoidally-fracturing material that hasn't been heated will be more difficult for you.

Im impressed, the mineral vein position and the shape make it special.... Well done.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

when Im babysitting my son. (too young to fossil hunt)

You and I call it babysitting, my wife calls it parenting.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen