krodista

I am trying to find help identifying the #1.

I think that #2 is oak, #3 is sequoia and #4 is tree fern

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

unnamed.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

If you know the location where they are from, that tends to help narrow possibilities.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

sadly I know nothing about the provenance at all. They are each so distinctive and well formed that i hoped purely on looks that someone might at least be able to point me in the right direction.

1 and 3 are similar to some pieces I seen that came from Hells Canyon Oregon. Number 4, maybe Indonesia. Do a google search for both of those places for "petrified wood cabochon." You will find some similar results.  

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I agree with CindiF - THIS WEBSITE shows one similar to your first item. 

Another website said that Hells Canyon Petrified Wood was believed to be from sequoia trees. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tim, 

That is certainly the closest thing that I have seen to this piece. Someone else who I had asked thought it might be bamboo and I knew that couldnt be right as it looks like it couldnt have come from bamboo.

You will need a view of the cell structure for any kind of identification.  Forests are generally not a monoculture, so knowing location/time may narrow it down, but probably not much.  As well polished as they are, the cell structure is probably visible with low magnification.  I have used a good camera on a stand to take a picture, then blown it up with good results.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Brent,

I wont have a way to see closer to them for a while as I only have an old point and shoot. Ill have to see if I can find someone with a nice SLR to get closer shots. Mostly I just cant find and bamboo that looks anything like that and want to confirm its not that...

Im trying to pick one to have made into a necklace and as I love the coloring in the first due to coloring, I worry if its bamboo it will seem odd.  We like going for hikes and figured petrified wood would make a nice gift as a necklace.

so outside of microscope or taking a high resolution shot of #1, is there no way to get a rough idea of what it might be other than the assumption it may also from Hells Canyon. I have scoured google images both before and after getting on this forum and have struggled to find something quite like #1

If you know the age of the deposit, it may help.  If it is Cretaceous/Mesozoic, it is not bamboo, as grasses do not appear until the Cenozoic.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

No, I do not know anything of the age. The seller didnt have much information on them and labeled #1 as bamboo, but upon getting home and looking on google for each, I found that was the only one which seemed not to match what the seller had called it.

I think its 1 of the prettiest, but it would be nice to tell my fiance at least an idea of what the tree is, which is why i am thinking about going with #3 to be made into a necklace as it seems "safe". Christmas being right around the corner now, I dont have a lot of time to decide.

I can ID that last one: It's Tietea singularis, almost certainly from the Permian Pedra do Fogo Fm. of Brazil. It's the central part of the trunk of a tree fern, so technically not wood.

Having a doh moment.  #1 is not bamboo, it appears to have growth rings, bamboo is a monocot, so no growth rings, as I recall from the dusty corners of my mind.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

On 12/7/2016 at 11:35 AM, krodista said:

Thanks Carl,

Appreciate you taking a look at this. Any clue on #1? It appears to be the most elusive of the bunch.

No idea... Sorry!

In order to identify petrified wood You have to look at the cell structure and vesicles, and You have to look at it from side and end views. Without that information any id is just a wild guess.

That being said, I have never seen an Oak with the square pattern of cab 2.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 7 months later...

Just curious if you're still looking into this.  I just joined and I'm fairly sure that #1 is a larger grain cross section of Hells Canyon petrified Sequoia.  It has a fascinating history and I met Tony Schultz back in 2010 (I am one of a gajillion as he sold at shows), who bought a huge load of this from the original family of the miner that unearthed it before Hells Canyon was flooded for the Brownlee Dam.  The market was also "flooded" with it in the last two years as it's become very popular for lapidary design and jewelry.  I love it, myself and have some rough that I got from Tony and cut, so beautiful it's hard to let go of it.  My greatest failing as a business woman! LoL