Woehr's Texas Meanderings - Ephemeral Edition

Uncle Siphuncle

Just wanted to say that I think this thread deserves a "golden drool bucket" aword!

@JohnJ Do Y'All give those out anymore or was it Auspex's  baby?

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Excellent trip reports and finds, as always.

I must say that so many beautiful, intact Archaeocidaris turning up is just not fair. :) The Midcontinent Pennsylvanian is a completely different story. Anything more than scattered plates and spines is virtually nonexistent.

Context is critical.

15 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Amazing finds! Definitely as a new fossil hunter in Texas very inspirational!

Dan's a legend.

Welcome to the family. Beware, it's an addictive hobby!

With each picture I just kept repeating, "maybe one day...maybe one day". Absolutely amazing finds!!!

• I found this Informative 1

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

What can I say?  Those are some beautiful finds.  I can imagine the excitement when each was found.  Those waterfalls, swimming holes, and critters (alive and dead) make my heart yearn for Texas.   You can see from your post where the phrase "God blessed Texas" is certainly true!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

On December 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM, smt126 said:

Amazing finds. You've obvioiusly put in quite a few hours into finding all those.

The specimens shown in this thread are a testament to what happens when you put in the time at the library.  They also result from a lot of trips during which nothing was found yet something was learned.  I see people ask for directions to a fossil site.  Dan goes out and hunts down a place to hunt at.  

Years ago, I saw a guy on this forum ask for directions to a site.  Someone told him to go the library and do some research.  He said he did all that.  No he didn't.  I know Dan goes to the library because he has so much much stuff, he has to give some of it away.

47 minutes ago, siteseer said:

The specimens shown in this thread are a testament to what happens when you put in the time at the library.  They also result from a lot of trips during which nothing was found yet something was learned.  I see people ask for directions to a fossil site.  Dan goes out and hunts down a place to hunt at.  

Years ago, I saw a guy on this forum ask for directions to a site.  Someone told him to go the library and do some research.  He said he did all that.  No he didn't.  I know Dan goes to the library because he has so much much stuff, he has to give some of it away.

Certainly papers have their merit.  But as a rabid do it yourselfer, I don't limit myself to what is in print.  I get a kick out of establishing trends in the field, then extrapolating those trends laterally. Good times!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Boy I'm impressed. That's quite the collection and looks like your family had a spectacular time collecting them. big congratulations. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

Glad yall enjoyed.  As I get older, my vision is beginning to back slide.  In fact, sometimes I have to get injections directly into one eyeball.  As a result, I've elected to slow down when on a good site and hunt more methodically, rather than blast through with youthful exuberance.  The unexpected result is that getting older has been a boon to my personal collecting, allowing me to notice little treasures I was apparently running right by in years past.  Slowing down has more than compensated for declining vision.  Couple that with patience and low expectations and fun days are virtually guaranteed.

Grüße,

This thread is proof that legendary fossil hunters still exist! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Dan, thanks for sharing all of your amazing finds. 

I think I saw your picture under the word Motivated in the dictionary. ;)

Kudos, to you, sir.

Not only for your finds, but also for getting your son out there.  

I know that is not an easy task. 

Best regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That was really amazing to see thanks for taking the time to share it with us all

I had no idea the Texas area was such a great area to go fossil hunting

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dan, that is a nice Glyptoxoceras, basically complete, and contrasty. Pow! Wish we had then like that up here. (Maybe they do exist but I haven't been so lucky, I have seen partials in white, and complete ones in black) Can I see a closer pic of it?

I also like the Archaeocidaris.

Been some months with a lot of work....unable to even log in the forum.... but...

WOW..... Just looking at this. Dan finds in one day trip what many people just dreams finding once in the lifetime.

The Mortoniceras are gorgeous, as big as my belly...Id give a month of my life to be there in that site one day, just to look at that....the Juvenile Jaw is quite amazing, how it wait thousands of years to be found.... but for me the Smilodon fatalis is really a piece that is AWESOME.

Incredible.

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, garyc said:

I'm not even worthy to reply to this thread. I'm going to go projectile vomit and go to bed now. 

Gary, you seem to take your cut on a regular basis!

Grüße,

Thanks for all you have done for us here.

Truly God did bless Texas and he did so well before life as we know it came along.

Personally I am proud to share the title with you Dan.

TEXAN!