Air Scribe Help

bmorefossil

well it seems im going to need an air scribe, i would like to know where to look for one, what prices i should expect and what brand?

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

You can find good Chicago Pneumatic scribes on E-bay for $90-$130. Buy one of those and send it to PaleoTools to be upgraded: that will cost you around $80 more with shipping. Check out Paleo Tools for some good info on scribes and for what they can and should be used. They did a wonderful job on the CP that I got on E-bay and then talked me through taking it apart over the phone when I ran into a little glitch. Got it up and running without ever having to figure out what I was doing!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

A lot of Chicago Pneumatic CP9361 show up on Ebay. I got mine there, under $100. I was told 3 cfm was a minimum on a compressor. Search for air scribe, chicago pneumatic, 9361, engraver, etc. You will get different results. I got mine for a steal because it was listed as an engraver and didn't get too many bids.

If you are doing fine work, you may want to look at something like a Microjack 5.

• 2 weeks later...
i dont think i need a small one

I would go with the chicago pnuematic. I've tried other air pens in different applications, the only one still functioning is the CP. I modified several tips, including one with a tiny chisel. Stores that are associated with machining or mechanics are a good place to find air pens. I've also tried the cheap electric pens, and they suck....

Funny thing is, I've had an air pen for years. It never occured to me to use it to clean fossils up until a couple months ago, now I dont even know how I got along without the damned thing!

- to be able to lead, you must first refuse to follow

- is that a rock hammer in your pocket, or are you just that happy to see me?

- where are all the unicorn fossils? that stupid troll lied to me!

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

I just got an ME-9100 from Paleo tools, tried it last night for the first time and holy moly does it ever move alot of rock in a hurry. Up until now I had only used the little electric engravers. Rock that the engraver wouldn't even touch the ME-9100 will take off like it's butter.

• 4 weeks later...
well it seems im going to need an air scribe, i would like to know where to look for one, what prices i should expect and what brand?

The Natural Canvas (thenaturalcanvas.com) sells an airscribe (Model 8315), which is for precision work, and a power chisel (Model 425), for roughing out chunks.