Anybody know what this jigsaw is ?

Crann

Hi, came across this after a storm, I extracted the bud looking objects bottom right, also found Yorkshire coast, uk, any ideas ? Thanks again... grrrrr won't let me add pictures again... will try n resize 

Can we see the extracted objects? They look interesting!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

9 minutes ago, darctooth said:

Can we see the extracted objects? They look interesting!

Can post pictures tomorrow of the "buds"

4 minutes ago, Crann said:

Can post pictures tomorrow of the "buds"

Ok, Thanks

Hmmmm... send it to me, I will prep it and then tell you what it is.  What?  You say you want me to send it back??

This does look really interesting.   Jurassic bones... but I don't see anything definitely IDable.

Or are those chert nodules in a boulder?  

It looks like one of the layers of sideritic nodules that occur in parts of the sequence there. 

Some of them can contain fossils and there's something that could be a belemnite impression in the lower middle of the first photo.  I'm not sure if your extracted pieces are anything, I suspect not.

Tarquin

So far it looks like mostly nodules. That cilindrical hollowed out space looks like there was a fossil there though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I thought those objects you extracted might be something because they both had those 4  raised "humps". But now I am less sure that they are fossils.

Maybe they are sponges, something like Hallirhoa or similar, according to the general shape. Other examples, here .

Pictures from the flat sides could be possible?

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe they are sponges, something like Hallirhoa or similar, according to the general shape. Other examples, here .

Pictures from the flat sides could be possible?

Think you have found the answer as some pics are identical, cheers abyss :dinothumb:

As far as I know, there aren't any sponges known from the Lias there, the sea bottom conditions were wrong. The shape is similar but I think just concretion...

Tarquin

This is pretty much identical, the buds have the "cord attachment" too and had the stems on there in the chunk 

$_1.jpg

It's a little strange to see two almost identical shaped bulbous concretions/nodules/geological featured somethings in the same matrix, but it's not impossible. I think, these two could be very well sponges. Along the Yorkshire Coast, especially in the Flamborough area are lots of fossil sponges from the Upper Cretaceous strata.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Roughly whereabouts on the Yorkshire coast did you find them? It doesn't look at all like Flamborough material (which is Chalk). 

I still think they're concretions, very likely based on a trace fossil of some sort.

In your first field photo, it looks as if they may be connected.

I'm thinking of something like Gyrophyllites (thanks to Abyssunder from another thread! :)).

Tarquin

Not a bad idea, Tarquin. They look relatively similar to Gyrophyllites, but the burrows of them are more irregular and usually larger than those of the specimens in question. Some of the star-shaped/medusiform burrows can be confused with sponges or medusae. Hard to make any conclusion, but as a possibility, can't be ruled out. :headscratch:

Here are some Gyrophyllitids as represented in A. Seilacher's " Trace Fossil Analysis ":

Gyrophyllitids.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

Strangely enough came across one today in a museum, found on Yorkshire coast, what are the chances of that ...

20170129_154153.jpg