It is either modern cow or fossil bison lower jaw molar. It may be un erupted but I need a photo of the end of the tooth that you did not provide.  Front , back, top, bottom  -- you provided 3 of the 4 views -- need the last one also.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks.  Excellent photos.  You are about to learn about "stylid" . There are at least 30 TFF Threads that attempt to differentiate between fossil bison and modern cow.  They are extremely similar and most say "not identifiable" from a single tooth.

Here is one of mine that I think is a fossil

Go to upper right corner of TFF page and search for "stylid"  .  Enjoy the read

04Nov2014Bison_m3.thumb.jpg.c1b0d3b48bac7c94029466979f321eb7.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you !

So, from all the reading, the stylid is the little defined ridge between the teeth. Which I have, and thought that was what distinguished between cow/Bison, but now understand BOTH can have.  But due to the size of this tooth, because I have found a "modern" cow jaw with teeth, I still believe this one to be Bison, and possibly the Larger fossil long horned Bison. Could that be correct? Attached my cow jaw.

Jaw bone with teeth 1.jpg

Over 10 years, I have actually found few bison teeth.  Maybe 1-2 a year compared to 1000s of fossils found a year.

1) The Stylid implies but does not confirm is Bison.

2) You could confirm that you truly have a fossil that has been mineralized rather than darkly stained enamel. There were zero modern cows 10000 years ago which is the approximate time fossilization takes, or

3) Bison were bigger and thus had bigger teeth...

Here is a comparison from @Harry Pristis  who is the/an expert on this topic. So if you happened to find an "m3" with a crown length approximately 42 mm , that would identify it as bison.

Hopefully Harry will see this thread and comment.  

post-42-0-48218300-1416967261.jpg

post-42-0-06637300-1416967241.jpg

It looks like a perfectly-reasonable bison upper, probably an M3, newly erupted.  But, Mote, that's not a bottom view of your tooth -- it's a top view or occlusal view.  The tooth is not worn enough to show the typical pattern of a bison upper.  M3 is the last tooth to erupt into battery.  It's not possible to say which bison species contributed the isolated tooth.

bison_P2_M3.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thank you so much! Boy do I have A Lot to learn about this fossiling ! So my bottom view is actually the top, and I would be safe sharing this with my grand kid's school classes as Bison upper M3 tooth and leave it at that. Want to be as correct as I possibly can when trying to share/teach them some of the past history. Thanks again !

My cow jaw with teeth against my Bison Tooth pictured below.

2017-04-24 17.28.12.jpg

1 hour ago, Mote said:

Thank you so much! Boy do I have A Lot to learn about this fossiling ! So my bottom view is actually the top, and I would be safe sharing this with my grand kid's school classes as Bison upper M3 tooth and leave it at that. Want to be as correct as I possibly can when trying to share/teach them some of the past history. Thanks again !

My cow jaw with teeth against my Bison Tooth pictured below.

2017-04-24 17.28.12.jpg

Mote, Mote, Mote!  Your image is showing the ROOT end of the bison tooth!  To compound the problem, you're comparing (or attempting to compare) an upper tooth with a lower jaw -- not often a useful comparison.  And further, the bison tooth is barely worn while the cow teeth have severe wear.

bisonteethocclusalstylid.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest