Giant Squid Fossil

Xiphactinus

We found this cool fossil in Kansas over Memorial Day. It's the internal support for the giant squid Tusoteuthis. Extra cool are the perfect bites out of it, most likely from a small Squalicorax shark. Fossil is about 2 feet long.

post-98-1246420686_thumb.jpg

OK, quit teasing us X-man...got any close-ups (of the fossil)? :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That is one fantastic find. I don't see many or

any of those. Is that a rare find? Please

don't tell me this is your fifth... :o

Welcome to the forum!

That is one fantastic find. I don't see many or

any of those. Is that a rare find? Please

don't tell me this is your fifth... :o

finding pieces aren't that rare in Kansas. Finding pretty complete ones are. No, I haven't found 5....just 2. The first wasn't nearly that good.

OK, a fossil Cretaceous "cuttle bone" with major predation/scavenging marks....

Excuse me, I feel a good drool coming on! :drool:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a great find and display piece.Have any close up pictures of the Squali bite marks??

I knew you went out Mem day and it looks like you did great! Any Mosasaur material found on the trip?

Very nice..... the bite marks too..... well done Great find!

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

That's a great find and display piece.Have any close up pictures of the Squali bite marks??

I knew you went out Mem day and it looks like you did great! Any Mosasaur material found on the trip?

I'll post some closeups of the bite marks this weekend...

No mosasaur :mellow: Our finds included: many fish teeth, a nice fish skull (about a foot long....needs a lot of prep work), a section of 8 Xiphactinus verts from near the tail, a small protosphyreana fin, and the squid. Not a bad haul for a weekend.

No doubt! Have any pictures of the sting of X-Fish verts?

no...and I just cleaned them off a little and left them in the plaster jacket and sent it to the St. Louis Science Center for a display they are doing. Thought it would be nice to show what stuff looks like "fresh" from the field. Won't be able to get my hands on it until Sept.

St. Louis Science Center for a display they are doing. Thought it would be nice to show what stuff looks like "fresh" from the field.

That's nice of you! I hope to be able to do that someday! Since I just started seriously collecting fossils about a 1 1/2 years ago......I have a hard time letting anything go :D However if I find something that is rare or significant to academics I'll give it up out of principle :)

I've been waiting to see how you did. Looks like you did alright.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

WOW - that is awesome! I always wondered why we don't find any belemnites (or beaks) here at Lee Creek - must be because all the best ended up in the midwest! :drool:

...I always wondered why we don't find any belemnites (or beaks) here at Lee Creek...

Actually, belemnites didn't survive the K-T extinction: Lee Creek strata is a bit newer.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So... how big was this cephalopod anyway?