ramanessin nj id help

brad hinkelman

Not taking a side here. Just wondering. Any chance this pattern is primitive enough to be a homologous to it ?  

IMG_4202.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, brad hinkelman said:

before my batteries on my camera died heres a couple more......there also seems to be some form of some lines inside the one hole that may indicate something to someone

100_5811.JPG

100_5812.JPG

Could the second picture show the clams shell?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm definitely going with wood. And I have found a couple with that ridged pattern inside the borings that yours has. I'm not sure how that would preserve but it sure looks like the pattern on the clams that bore mechanically.

9 hours ago, Carl said:

I'm definitely going with wood. And I have found a couple with that ridged pattern inside the borings that yours has. I'm not sure how that would preserve but it sure looks like the pattern on the clams that bore mechanically.

well I sure missed that in the hole!     if carl has seen the borers preserved in their hole like that, it's gotta be wood.  Wood was always the most obvious answer to me,  but I just couldn't get past these close up pics of the texture.  sure looks like bone to me.    But  i ignored the rest, as a result.  moral is dont zoom in too much if you don't have the best pictures to begin with!  

wp_ss_20170606_0004 (2).png

wp_ss_20170606_0001 (2).png

wp_ss_20170606_0002 (2).png

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

On 6/6/2017 at 2:01 PM, brad hinkelman said:

some form of some lines inside the one hole that may indicate something to someone

It looks like a fragment of a shell from a brachiopod.  If it is, then the hole might be a mold.

Russ

20 hours ago, non-remanié said:

well I sure missed that in the hole!     if carl has seen the borers preserved in their hole like that, it's gotta be wood.  Wood was always the most obvious answer to me,  but I just couldn't get past these close up pics of the texture.  sure looks like bone to me.    But  i ignored the rest, as a result.  moral is dont zoom in too much if you don't have the best pictures to begin with!  

Bones get bored by clams also.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:27 AM, Carl said:

2 hours ago, KCMOfossil said:

It looks like a fragment of a shell from a brachiopod.  If it is, then the hole might be a mold.

Russ

The similarity in texture to that of the rest of piece sort of rules out shell.

Could the missing surface of a trace be explained by a slight case of pyrite disease ?   

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The similarity in texture to that of the rest of piece sort of rules out shell.

I see what you mean.  Carl's comment may have nailed it.  If Brad, with the fossil in hand, sees the design as an impression rather than a fragment, then that provides further support.

27 minutes ago, KCMOfossil said:

I see what you mean.  Carl's comment may have nailed it.  If Brad, with the fossil in hand, sees the design as an impression rather than a fragment, then that provides further support.

to me in hand looks like impression not fragment

I agree that in this case it looks more like an impression: I have a similar specimen. But I also have one from ?Ramanessin that has that same pattern but it is preserved as a thin black sheet lining the boring. I have no good explanation for how either forms.