My Latest Birthday Present

Fat Boy

I had the pleasure of having a fantastic birthday as my daughter and I spent some quality time doing our favorite hobby, fossil collecting. That in itself makes it one of my best birthdays ever.

OK, enough mushy stuff, on with the report. We spent the day collecting the Paleocene of Maryland along the Potomac River. I wasn't expecting much since we just had a long holiday weekend with lots of boaters out and probably lots of collectors from shore over the weekend. I was thinking that it would be pretty much picked clean. My daughter and I scoured the shoreline and found a fair amount of teeth with the usual mix of sand tigers, broken Otodus teeth, a few croc teeth, and some turtle shells. However, about half way through the trip prior to our lunch break she was sitting on a rock taking in the scenery during a little break. I was collecting behind her and just walked passed her and stopped to think about having lunch. I was wading in about knee deep water and happened to look down and around my feet. The water was calm, not much waves, and very clear, so visibility was good. I looked down and saw a weird banana shaped rock and thought it was odd looking, so naturally I had to check it out. I was hoping it was a root. Here is what I saw:

otodus1.jpg

Well, I had to pull it out, so here is the result:

otodus3.jpg

otodus2.jpg

It measures about 2 1/4" high, slant is slightly over 2 3/8", by far my biggest Otodus ever!

otodus4.jpg

otodus5.jpg

otodus6.jpg

Here are my finds (145 of the usual teeth, one big tooth, a couple croc teeth, some stingray plates and turtle shell pieces:

kwfinds.jpg

Here are my daughter's finds (I think I counted 361 teeth, some stingray plates, and some croc teeth:

Rileyfinds.jpg

I had a blast!

Kevin Wilson

I had the pleasure of having a fantastic birthday as my daughter and I spent some quality time doing our favorite hobby, fossil collecting. That in itself makes it one of my best birthdays ever.

I'm glad ya had a great time dad, i did too :)

Ugh, mushy stuff...lol, but yea, collectin w/ ya will always be awesome even if i don't find anythin. luv ya :)

HAPPY BELATED B-DAY!!! :D :D :D

Happy birthday Fat Boy !

Here is a very good day with a lot of shark teeth in your pocket ! The Otodus tooth is marvelous ! But both pictures are the same...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Happy birthday Fat Boy !

Here is a very good day with a lot of shark teeth in your pocket ! The Otodus tooth is marvelous ! But both pictures are the same...

Coco

lol, holy cow...he uploaded the same pic twice...lol, thanks for noticin that...

lol, holy cow...he uploaded the same pic twice...lol, thanks for noticin that...

Sorry, it's fixed now...

Kevin Wilson

OKAYYYYYYY ! Very nice findings ! Congrats !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

That's a birthday story that will be told for years to come...good stuff.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Terrific tooth!

Did you do the Otodus Two-step?

(More importantly, did you remember to eat lunch?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sounds like some amazing fun!

What a great time with your daughter (and the tooth is nice, too....)

maybe I should plan a hunting trip up there sometime..... hehe.

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Thanks everyone. Yep, it was a special trip for sure. I wonder if I had any extra luck because I was wearing my The Fossil Forum t-shirt????

Kevin Wilson

Awesome finds and happy birthday! I really wish I had this hobby when I lived a couple miles from the potomac river!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

absolutely awesome Otodus from there! what a birthday surprise.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Well, looks like you had a great Bday all the way around. B)B)B):D

post-23-1247087878.gif

It's my bone!!!

Hey that's SUPER! Happy Birthday and congratulations all in one!

I've been to that site hundreds of times and never found one that big. :applause: :thumbsup: :drool:

Fat Boy..... Very nice tooth..... looks like you found it just in time as well, its not tumbled about its very crisp.... well done... !!

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Steve. It's cool to find something nice once in a while. In between those times I can come on this forum and drool over everyone's reports, like those ammonites prep jobs that you keep posting! Those are so awesome! If I don't get around to posting on your thread, take this compliment in advance!

Kevin Wilson

Thanks everyone. Yep, it was a special trip for sure. I wonder if I had any extra luck because I was wearing my The Fossil Forum t-shirt????

They're magic! It always works for me. I am very jealous of that tooth. It's amazing. Good job!

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Yup the shirts have a little magic in them :) Next time take a pic of yourself with it on :)