Is this a fossil clam mold?

SCSeaGal15

Can someone tell me if this is a fossil clam mold? Found at a barn in East Tennessee. Unsure where it was originally found but he thought he might have found it in a river in the mountains. It measures approximately 3.5" long by 2.5" wide by 1.25 deep. The  main body part is gray with some brown hints and the center band part is lighter whitish gray and also has some tiny holes at it's edges. Obviously I'm not an expert but I think it is interesting regardless. Help appreciated!

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

Thank you! Do you know what fossil period? Could it have been found in a stream in the Smoky Mountain region of Tennessee?

6 minutes ago, SCSeaGal15 said:

Thank you! Do you know what fossil period? Could it have been found in a stream in the Smoky Mountain region of Tennessee?

I haven't hunted down south yet so i can't tell by the looks of it, but here's a geologic map. Source: google image search 

IMG_2214.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I disagree, from those photos. I've never seen a shell cast with quartz running through it and I think its a waterworn pebble with a quartz band running through it, although I could be wrong.

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Foozil said:

I disagree, from those photos. I've never seen a shell cast with quartz running through it and I think its a waterworn pebble with a quartz band running through it, although I could be wrong.

I think that's limestone with some calcite crystals, most places on the steinkern that matrix is worn away, but on the sides it has not.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That is interesting to consider Foozil. Certainly could be a water worn pebble with all the stream action of the Smokies. It has a shell look with both "side" above and below the line being really close to the same size and it tapers and has the general shape of a clam but I don't know. I like it but of course would like it better if it was a fossil!

Thanks for the map Whodaman! So interesting.

It is a petrified chicken burger!:rofl:

Seriously- I agree with Foozil.

It is a mica schist with a quartz vein.

If it where calcite  the vein would be worn more than the  parent rock. 

PS You can see the mica sparkles in most of the pictures.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ynot, Ha the man  got it from said he called it his "burger" rock! Funny you would call it a chicken burger. (:

3 minutes ago, SCSeaGal15 said:

Funny you would call it a chicken burger.

Chicken is white meat and quartz is white rock.:headscratch:

I should have called it "chicken on rye".:D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hu,

I am OK with Foozil too !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg