Closeups of one of my best fossils found at Filey Beach

Guy Macdonald

Some more closeups of this awesome fossil I found. Quick question as well whenever I turn the fossil in the light I can see some glitter, should I soak this in water for a few hours to be sure? Don't want this ruining

fossil 10.png

fossil 11.png

1 minute ago, SOS said:

Nice fossil, i love Filey.

Aye it's good isn't it. Found this beauty along the coastal wall a little from the chippy, next time I go I'm gonna inspect a lot further along the wall to see what I can find.

The "glitter" is likely mineralization such as pyrite or some other replacement mineral that can lend it some lustre. I wouldn't think soaking it should harm it (it has, after all, been subject to the elements for some time judging by the rock's eroded appearance). But it also seems fairly "clean" so it may not be necessary to soak it. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

The "glitter" is likely mineralization such as pyrite or some other replacement mineral that can lend it some lustre. I wouldn't think soaking it should harm it (it has, after all, been subject to the elements for some time judging by the rock's eroded appearance). But it also seems fairly "clean" so it may not be necessary to soak it. 

Thanks for the reply, well once I'd brought it home I did soak it and clean it gently, it was fairly clean even when I found it. Just don't want it damaging from other answers I've been told this is a good fossil. Gonna display it and enjoy it.

3 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

@Guy Macdonald dude, leave some fossils there for me! I'm heading that direction in October. 

Aha nice man enjoy it, if I'm there in October time I'll pop you a message nothing like getting people together for a hunt.

• I found this Informative 1