Need help with unknown from Jacksboro TX

BobWill

I thought I posted this before but couldn't find it, maybe it was on facebook. It also seems like I've recently seen something similar but don't know where. Must take better notes...

WIN_20170721_15_35_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.b52218c883af5834930bc04b004797a7.jpg

Closer in

WIN_20170721_15_40_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.a5183db4164609c1d2bb68979bca862e.jpg

Closer still to wrinkled end on the right

WIN_20170721_15_39_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.10a84d44b6dff70fe9fb0f3d0d843bf2.jpg

The image after this is looking in the direction of the arrow at the layers visible on the edge

WIN_20170721_15_35_29c2_Pro.jpg.69a00b1869d9dec6e0e56e4f0994a9b3.jpg

edge view

WIN_20170721_15_44_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.ceecaa535556bebbd83bc8e60e2ce6d4.jpg

Are you referring to Archaeocidaris tooth, Bob ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

40 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Are you referring to Archaeocidaris tooth, Bob ?

I post a couple a while back I found at Lake Bridgeport. I would think this thing is way too big for that but thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

The close up pictures show a texture similar to some brachiopods.

That's about the only thing I could guess but I don't recognize the odd folding on the wide end or the bumpy texture from anything on the fauna list for this site. Anything you can put a name on?

The layering makes me think it has to be a mollusk, and the time range makes be think brachiopod, but it's unlike any brachiopod piece I've ever seen.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

56 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

The layering makes me think it has to be a mollusk, and the time range makes be think brachiopod, but it's unlike any brachiopod piece I've ever seen.

Though brachiopods and mollusks may have layering that is similar in some ways I just want to point out that a brachiopod is not a mollusk for the benefit of those new to the taxonomy of marine fauna. That said, I agree about the general appearance. It's just the details that don't fit anything I am familiar with.

25 minutes ago, BobWill said:

Though brachiopods and mollusks may have layering that is similar in some ways I just want to point out that a brachiopod is not a mollusk for the benefit of those new to the taxonomy of marine fauna. That said, I agree about the general appearance. It's just the details that don't fit anything I am familiar with.

oops, mixed up some words in an article I read on rostroconchia, sorry. Then I will say it looks like a lophotrochozoan, as to include both taxon

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason