Summerville trip; scored big-time!

MeargleSchmeargl

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Nice tooth, but what are 'lightning strikes'?

RB

They're basically tiny cracks in the enamel or enamel discolorations running vertically along the tooth, sometimes  from bourlette to blade tip. They are a popular aesthetic on many of the more quality megs.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

So, I'm confused...Are the Lightning Strikes the root discoloration in (1) or the cracks in the enamel (2)?  TIA

meg.png

40 minutes ago, Pilobolus said:

This site (sales) indicated they are discoloration caused by in situ plant roots:

https://ancientearthtradingco.com/1-3-in-lightning-strike-mako-shark-tooth-on-matrix-sharktooth-hill-california.html

Correct?

That's what I have been told. (and what I said above.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, Pilobolus said:

So, I'm confused...Are the Lightning Strikes the root discoloration in (1) or the cracks in the enamel (2)?  TIA

meg.png

They're the small cracks in the enamel. Also come in the form of discolorations (which are mineral in origin, I believe).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

4 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

They're the small cracks in the enamel. Also come in the form of discolorations (which are mineral in origin, I believe).

I have not heard cracks as being referred to as "lighting strikes" before.

There was a thread that discussed lighting strikes a while back (I can not find it) that had a consensus that the discolored streaking that appears on some teeth is caused by contact with roots, which leach some minerals from the tooth and leave white streaks on the tooth.

See the tooth in this thread for a good example....

That's also my understanding @ynot. Lightning strikes are discoloration caused by contact with plant roots in the sediment. Quite different to micro-cracks. 

Plant rootlets and associated symbionts secrete organic acids that help break down minerals for the uptake of nutrient cations. 

2 hours ago, ynot said:

I have not heard cracks as being referred to as "lighting strikes" before.

There was a thread that discussed lighting strikes a while back (I can not find it) that had a consensus that the discolored streaking that appears on some teeth is caused by contact with roots, which leach some minerals from the tooth and leave white streaks on the tooth.

See the tooth in this thread for a good example....

From what I have seen in videos from blackriverfossils (who is a very frequent tooth Hunter in Summerville) and from what I have found in what little is said about lightning strikes on Megalodon teeth, it seems that lightning strikes are actually more often than not referred to as small cracks in the enamel. This is primarily based from blackriver's videos on hunting for lightning strike megs, as there is surprisingly little relevant information brought up on your average Google search. 

4 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

From what I have seen in videos from blackriverfossils (who is a very frequent tooth Hunter in Summerville) and from what I have found in what little is said about lightning strikes on Megalodon teeth, it seems that lightning strikes are actually more often than not referred to as small cracks in the enamel. This is primarily based from blackriver's videos on hunting for lightning strike megs, as there is surprisingly little relevant information brought up on your average Google search. 

I think the term is a quilociolizm that has little meaning to any outside of fossil hunters.

On the other hand, it would not be the first time someone tried to change the definition of a term to make an item to appear more desirable.

Which sounds better to You - a tooth with cracks in the enamel or one with "lighting strikes".

I still think that the term was "coined" to describe the marks left by contact with roots.