Big Brook Park Trip

Matt1422

• New Members

Hi!! Planning to go to ,,,Big Brook Park in ,,,New Jersey for the first time! Any ,,,tips and or advice for a first timer and are there any special regulations that I need to follow? 

Regulations - You are allowed to keep only 5 fossils per day. Sifters can be no bigger than 16 inch square I think. You may only use a trowel no bigger than 6 inches for digging. Do not dig in the banks. 

You will need to dig and sift in the gravel bars. That is where you will find the fossils. Good luck and have fun. And also welcome to the forum from New York!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

23 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Only 5 a day???????????

Yeah, I don't personally agree with it (it allows more fossils to erode to dust) but it's to prevent commercial exploitation and draining of fossil resources.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

36 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Only 5 a day???????????

I will say that most hunters there don't abide by these regulations and honestly have never seen nor heard of anyone enforcing the regulations. But when you pull into the parking area there is a sign which clearly states these regulations.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Big Brook is a collector friendly nature preserve famous for it's seemingly inexhaustible supply of Cretaceous sharks teeth and other period fossils. There are no park rangers or monitoring that I have seen during numerous trips. Unless you plan to take a bulldozer it's hard or impossible to do any damage.

It's a good safe, worry free place to spend the day and find some interesting fossils.