0lderthandirt

Near grand canyon caverns,  Arizona.  I just found this, looks to me to be a gastropod fossil,  or possibly two? 

20170802_112846.jpg

20170802_112826.jpg

20170802_112717.jpg

20170802_112700.jpg

20170802_112602.jpg

20170802_112548.jpg

Will your next answer to my question be no? 

I agree, it's limestone deceptively worn into the shape of a snail, but there are gastropods to be found there, keep looking!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Is it possible to post a short video clip here? 

Probably would be best to post it on YouTube and then post a link here. With a file size limit of 3.95 MB per post, a video could easily smash that. If you don't wish it to be made too public, there is a setting to make it unsearchable. If you make it entirely private, you won't be able to share the link, however. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Probably would be best to post it on YouTube and then post a link here. With a file size limit of 3.95 MB per post, a video could easily smash that. If you don't wish it to be made too public, there is a setting to make it unsearchable. If you make it entirely private, you won't be able to share the link, however. 

Yeah I guess viewing just a flat image doesn't show the perfect raised spiral, or I guess the curved opening and how the smooth side matches. I also don't think I can capture all the tiny creatures embedded around the spiral with my camera anyways. 

That top image looks like the cast of the outside of the gastropods center parts, you are in the Mississippian there I believe and the gastropod that is big like that is called Straparollus.  The material look like a brownish chert.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

11 minutes ago, Arizona Chris said:

That top image looks like the cast of the outside of the gastropods center parts, you are in the Mississippian there I believe and the gastropod that is big like that is called Straparollus.  The material look like a brownish chert.

Hey thanks!  I just googled it, very interesting. 

I've learned a few things today.  One is because of a question from @WhodamanHD, I can now stand in the spot that to my north is  grey dirt, a few feet deep then solid grey limestone, very few fossils,  to my south is soft red dirt that I can easily dig down at least 14 feet and its fossil rich (on surface)

The other thing I've learned is there is a context to identifying fossils,  giving someone like  myself -even though I'm admittedly the least knowledgeable here- an unfair advantage of recognizing... I guess . Like a rock at the bottom of a hill that I can say is a shell only because I've seen the rock at the top of the hill with both weathered and pristine shells still attached,  even though I couldn't tell you what the shell is called. 

Or not :)

We all have to start somewhere! :) The more you learn, the more you'll want to learn more. You're in an enviable position to have fossils right in your backyard!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, 0lderthandirt said:

Hey thanks!  I just googled it, very interesting. 

I've learned a few things today.  One is because of a question from @WhodamanHD, I can now stand in the spot that to my north is  grey dirt, a few feet deep then solid grey limestone, very few fossils,  to my south is soft red dirt that I can easily dig down at least 14 feet and its fossil rich (on surface)

This is probably due to the "great unconformity", which angles the formations, so uniform weathering exposes two formations instead of one.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason