RiverRunner

Hello!

I'm a complete amateur & need some help.

Camping in Apple River Canyon state park, Illinois in what is called the driftless area. They had a huge flood wash through the canyon a week or so before my trip, relocating tons & tons of rock.

I found a few fossils, but don't know what they are or how to clean them up.

Thanks

DSC_0452 (2).JPG

DSC_0455 (2).JPG

DSC_0456 (2).JPG

DSC_0457 (2).JPG

DSC_0458 (2).JPG

I agree with Tony - these are mostly gastropod fossils. 

Not much to be done to clean or prepare these any further. 

They are quite worn, so I'm not sure further ID is possible, either. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If I were you, Id try to find the mother outcrop these rocks came from.  You might find some superb specimens there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Agreed. When youve got rock littered with small fossils, theres a chance for bigger and better ones!

I really like the looks of the first one btw

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Yeah... problem is that this is a state park. I don't imagine they would take too kindly to someone chiseling away at the scenery.DSC_0437a.thumb.jpg.357c68cea5c6813ad06bbad931b336e9.jpg

Oh yeah, shoot. But honestly, you dont have to chisel away the rocks, just sifting the beach and riverbars can do as well. Mud or fallen cliffs might work the best. However, according my knowledge, Apple River Canyon is in an Ordovician formation, so you'll probably find just simple shelled bodies, assuming that it was a marine zone based on the fact that life did not truly exist on land yet and yet theres gastropods. Maybes there could be a few trilobites, orthocones, or just more gastropods.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

18 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Agreed. When youve got rock littered with small fossils, theres a chance for bigger and better ones!

20170729_193426a.thumb.jpg.ffa10cc0e2cd25691542bc9c6d51efaa.jpg

I really like the looks of the first one btw

The first pic was the best find of the day :) Laying right on top of a deposit on the inside curve of the river.

I like the in-situ photo of the first piece very much! A perfect specimen, beautifully arranged by nature!?

Franz Bernhard

so as I said, dont look in the cliffs, thats very dangerous, very hard, and very illegal, as its an obvious case of vandalism. Its best to shift around the rocks by the river and maybe you can get lucky and find some more shell impressions. I once found a fossil abalone shell, in a nature preserve, which was in the mud, not the rock layers. rock layers usually find flattened fossils, which I ususally think of like whole fish fossils, but there shouldnt be any fish there (at least long, dead impressions of fish :P).

If you find a large, round rock, there is a chance that it may be a nodule, which have chances of having perfectly preserved fossils inside. Im no expert on identifying nodules, (ask the rest of the forummates, I only have experience in marine vertebrates)

but what I do know is that you can either just crack em open like a geode and hope that the possible fossil hasnt been pulverized (literally, broken pieces can be fixed), or if you have the time and tools, grind away the rock from the outside in untill you get a good exposure of the fossil.

I agree those are gastropods, that cliffs are dangerous to deal with and that the authorithies of the park won't allow you to do what you want with their rocks.

As to cleaning them up, you can do a little wash with a tooth brush and water but no more, they're very nice as they are.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On  something like your 1st one a thin coating of clear nail polish on just the fossil may make it stand out against the matrix. Test this idea by wetting w/water just the fossil, if it looks more appealing try the nail polish. NOT recomended for fossils where the detail is important, as a substitue for good prepping, or on carbonaceous material!

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno