Black shale oddity, any ideas?

fossilized6s

I went down to a new spot i found to see if i could find more Carboniferous shark teeth. Sadly, no teeth. But i found this oddity. I've personally have never seen anything like it, and it kind of reminds me of shark skin, but i'm leaning more towards a strange trace fossil.

In the upper right corner and top center you can see symmetry somewhat in the shape i can only describe as a sunflower shape. Other than that the spots seem random. 

Any opinoins are welcome. I've been searching and searching without any luck. 

Thanks, guys and gals

20170806_221050.jpg

This is Carboniferous black shale.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Shark cartilage ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

That went through my mind as well. But the spots are too large and not as tightly packed together as cartilage usually is. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

This looks reminiscent of a sort of mud drying/cracking(?) pattern - I forget the name or the explanation but it was discussed here on the forum not too long ago. Here is the photo I showed of an example I found in my local Cretaceous but did not bother to try to collect and it is now gone, and now I wish I had made the effort:

DSC_0036 shr.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

This looks reminiscent of a sort of mud drying/cracking(?) pattern - I forget the name or the explanation but it was discussed here on the forum not too long ago.

Hi Wrangelian,

maybe you are referring to counter septarian structures?

ciao

Could also be a feature caused by settling and dewatering of a sediment layer. Often a less permeable capping is being percolated through. 

I think you nailed it, Wrangellian. 

The knowledge passed along on here never ceases to amaze me. 

Thanks everyone.

~Charlie~

:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree, I think this looks like some sort of sedimentary structure formed by dewatering of the shale during diagenesis or lithification.

Similar structures are in the thread cited by abyssunder.