Wierd lookin thingy from Arizona

Miocene_Mason

I'm helping @0lderthandirt with identifying the fossil Fauna of his land, and while I was looking through things I came across this one that broke in transit. This is from Arizona, red wall limestone,mississipian. I have no clue as to what it is, Any ideas?

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think it Beekite on a productid brachiopod shell.  Here is a photo (from the web) of a similar specimen.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think it Beekite on a productid brachiopod shell.  Here is a photo (from the web) of a similar specimen.

Don

I think that is exactly it, Thanks you!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

BTW "beekite" is pretty much a "diagenic growth of chert" so Arizona Chris was spot on as well.

Don

48 minutes ago, Arizona Chris said:

Looks like a diagenetic growth of chert on top of something, maybe a mollusk.  

Thank you for your help! I'm guessing your local knowledge will be a big help in my cataloging here.

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

BTW "beekite" is pretty much a "diagenic growth of chert" so Arizona Chris was spot on as well.

Don

I was just writing to him as well, never would have guessed at diagenesis, I was thinking like a wierd bryozoan!

Happy hunting,

Mason

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

220px-MicrosolenaReverseBeekiteCW366.jpg

Base of the scleractinian coralMicrosolena showing beekite rings; Middle Jurassic of southern Israel.

Beekite is a distinctive form of chalcedony usually associated with silica replacing carbonate minerals in fossils (e.g. the top part of the coral illustrated).[1]

Beekite, recognised as small, concentric rings (cylinders, ellipsoids, or spheres in 3D) of microcrystalline quartz is recorded as first brought to attention of geologists by Henry Beeke, probably from studies around Torbay.[2] Early studies were reported by Thomas McKenny Hughes, in Devon,[3] and R. Etheridge in Australia.[4]

A study of the taphonomy of silicified fossils (especially brachiopods) in Devon concluded beekite resulted from the aerobic decomposition of organic matter in an environment with a limited supply of silica during early diagenesis.[5]

Bwa-ha-ha! ;)

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html