Fossil Fish Factory !!!

RJB

With my compressor not working and waiting for a part, I had to find something to do with fossils that didnt take an air scribe.  I found these back in 1995 or 1996 in the Lahontan beds of Nevada.  Back then I just happend to have a friend that not only knew were to dig for them, but also have the  info so I could call the mining companys secretary and get permission.  Week ends only but I didnt care.  I went there 3 different times.  Once by myself, once with the family and once with some teachers and students.  All 3 trips were a bunch of fun and found lots and lots of fish.   Most of the ones I found were Gasterosteus doryssus but once in awhile one would find a Funuluss nevadensis.  I was really there to try and find a fossil trout, but that didnt happen.  :(    As you can see, I made my own custom made 'spray booth'?   Ha!!   All I had to do was to trim some of them with my 'nippers' then take the sand paper to smooth out the ruff spots and spray both sides and edges with some clear acrylic and WaaaaaaaLaaaaaaa!  done deal.   This is very light rock being that is diatomaceous earth.  If nothing else,,,, it gave me something to do.  I did have fun, but now gots to figure out what to do with them?  and Ive still got a couple more boxes of this stuff somewhere?   :)

RB 

DSCN1192.JPG

DSCN1193.JPG

DSCN1194.JPG

1 minute ago, RJB said:

I did have fun, but now gots to figure out what to do with them?  and Ive still got a couple more boxes of this stuff somewhere?   :)

If you decide to sell them, I'd be interested in one or two (and maybe a Fundulus too depending on availability/price).  Prepped or unprepped.

Don

I am with Don!

Those are sweet little fish that would look great with my Eocene fishes!

Bummer about your compressor, you can come use mine :P 

Ok @FossilDudeCO, ive got my truck already loaded up and ready to come to your house to use your compressor.  I will only need about a month.  I hope you have a spare room and lots of wiskey!!!  Ha!!!  :)   Oh, for breakfast I like my toast lightly toasted and with some jelly.  thanks man

RB

@RJB small price to pay to watch a master work ;) 

The spare bedroom is set up and ready to go anytime! As long as you don't mind sleeping with a bunch of dead things haha!

Strawberry or grade jelly? I have both!

Very nice @RJB. When are you going to get your compressor squared away and quit playing around?

BTW, don't let Blake cheat you out of the good stuff with his grape an strawberry jelly. Hold out for lingonberry, sweet with a touch of tartness. Perfect on toast (or potatoes and meatballs for that matter) with a cup of coffee!

Hey @Ptychodus04, Im still waiting on a new pressure switch.  The mail man already came today,, and no part!!!    Im going nuts not being able to prep!!!

RB

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @Ptychodus04, Im still waiting on a new pressure switch.  The mail man already came today,, and no part!!!    Im going nuts not being able to prep!!!

RB

I bet you are. I'm sure the break was nice for a couple days though!

@Ptychodus04, no break for me.  My wife says that I get more done around the house when my compessor is not working, and I seem to cook a few more dinners.  :)  Plus, now im finding more and different fossils to work on.  So all in all, its a good thing?   But ive got a job for a customer to finish up and Ive got this Fox Hills lobster that keeps looking at me everyday that I want to prep out sooooooooooooo bad!!!!  

RB

I decided to do an experiment.  Took some Rock-ite, mixed it up, layed this fish onto it and gently pressed down, then when the material stiffined up I cut around the edges of the fish and scooped it away. Now its got to cure for 24 hours and then hopefully it will come off the plastic that its sittin on?  Im a bit nervous!  if it works, then great.  then i will know what i can do with all these thin rock on these fish. 

RB

DSCN1201.JPG

Ok, I have now done the 2nd one.  The Rock-ite comes off the plastic very easily.   I then took them to my table belt sander to smooth out the egdes.  Came out very nice and makes these fragile fish much more stable.  Yup.  

RB

DSCN1205.JPG

DSCN1206.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

46 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ok, I have now done the 2nd one.  The Rock-ite comes off the plastic very easily.   I then took them to my table belt sander to smooth out the egdes.  Came out very nice and makes these fragile fish much more stable.  Yup.  

RB

DSCN1205.JPG

DSCN1206.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

Very nice. I have an extremely fragile fish in the lab right now that will benefit from this process.

Looks like it will work. I wonder if you couldn't use something more like Ultra-Cal so the color is much closer to the original matrix.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

hey @Ptychodus04, glad I could help.  Your the one that is usually doing the help.

@caldigger, as long as it works, i dont care what the color is.  Nobody is going to look at the back?  Plus, I already have the Rock-ite.  but thanks man.  :)

RB