Sagebrush Steve

There have been several posts recently where people have asked for help identifying unknown materials.  Some of the responses have asked for the original poster to measure the specific gravity of the specimen (mine included).  I realized that this is not something everyone knows how to do, so I wrote up the attached document to explain it.  Sorry it's a bit long, but it includes a discussion of what specific gravity is, how it can be useful, some limitations with using it, and a couple of ways to make the measurement that aren't too complicated.  It also includes an appendix with a list of specific gravities for common materials and another appendix showing how you can make a specific gravity calculator from a couple of old CDs, a CD case, and printed scales from the document (I know it's easy to use a calculator but I thought I'd have some fun for the old folks who still remember how to use a slide rule).  I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it in the Rocks & Minerals category.

Measuring Specific Gravity.pdf

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 months later...

thank you...i weighed it yesterday and came out to be 76 grams and as soon as i locate a graduated cylinder in my shop i will do the water displacement measure...i may need a calculator tho as im not old school i grew up with the metric system in canada...thanks for the attachment.