Sad News From Ardmore, Ok

siteseer

Last Monday, Allen Graffham passed away after a long illness. He ran Geological Enterprises, perhaps the premier fossil-selling business in the US at least, for decades. When I started collecting fossils in the late 80's, I was shown his catalogue and it introduced me to a world of specimens suddenly within reach. By the 90's I was trading with Allen and talking with him at the Tucson shows.

He had a lot of great stories and was well-respected among dealers, scientists, and collectors. He enjoyed being out in the field and meeting people who shared his passion for paleontology. To his family and friends I offer my sincerest condolences.

The "Old Guard" is fading away. :(

These guys were in it for much more than the money; they were the foundation of a subculture.

There is little room for that in today's business world...

If you know of any up-and-comers who are cut of the same cloth, patronize them, lest we lose them all.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I remember looking at stock of Geological Enterprises back in the 1980's when I first started going to Tucson. They always had neat stuff, but in those days when I was just a younf pup I could afford little.

I wonder if the business will continue? I just downloaded their catalog a few weeks ago.

I remember looking at stock of Geological Enterprises back in the 1980's when I first started going to Tucson. They always had neat stuff, but in those days when I was just a younf pup I could afford little.

I wonder if the business will continue? I just downloaded their catalog a few weeks ago.

Yes, the business is continuing. Donna Russell is running it now. Allen started teaching her about the business about ten years ago.

Sorry to hear about his passing. :(

Yes, it is important to know that fossils are a passion. Some are in it for profit, some for glory, others for the thrill of the hunt. Others the company, the history, the knowlegde that comes from it.

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, a good converstaion with a hunting buddy, and making a good trade.

Can one ever truely understand the value of a fossil?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.