Paleo Pick question

Sagebrush Steve

Just got my new paleo pick in time for my next expedition.  In reading through the warning label on the handle, I just have one question.  Which side is the hammer side?

59a0ab3dbcce9_Pick1.jpg.ea9ec508792af7fccbc67023341b5b25.jpg59a0ab5603df0_Pick2.jpg.866d7284d01da6c213c9624fdd29f362.jpg

20 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

In this picture the left side as you look at it is the hammer side.

Well, it says that side is for striking wooden stakes.  I guess if by that they mean turning them into toothpicks, I would agree.

A wise man once told me:

"Anything can be a hammer"

That has been a saying that has proved extremely useful

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Same label on several types of their tools I bet. 

As an engineer myself, I hate it when the product safety engineer is too lazy to make the right label.  Lawsuit waiting to happen.  Fortunately fossil hunters who are likely to use this are smart enough not to abuse it (which will undoubtedly trigger many of you to recount horror stories from past trips).

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Same label on several types of their tools I bet. 

Correct, Estwing probably puts the exact same sticker on all their handled products. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Fortunately fossil hunters who are likely to use this are smart enough not to abuse it (which will undoubtedly trigger many of you to recount horror stories from past trips).

I think you give the collective us more credit than is due! I can personally confess to abusing several tools. Sometimes, they reciprocate.

The hammer end is the flattest end which is the handle side. You must be holding the tool upside down. :P

Where the pick end and the chisle end meet the tip of the handle is what they are talking about.  Its not the best 'hammer', but it does work.  Much better for wooden stakes rather than those little tiny tent stakes, but again, it does work. 

RB

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There are specific hammers made for striking different materials. Otherwise all hammers would look alike. Gross simplification I know...  But what everyone should know is that the typical rock pick is not meant for heavy pounding on other steel tools like chisels. A little tap, tap, tapping on a small chisel is probably no big deal. But if you are going to be pounding a chisel to break up hard rock you should invest in a crack hammer or other sledge. I have a small Estwing 2 pound crack hammer that I usually leave in the car. But on occasion I have needed it. 

This word of caution is based on experience. A flying shard off a rock pick cut my face as I wailed away on a chisel. I wear safety glasses but if it had hit my eye it would have been a serious injury. Goggles or at least polycarb sports glasses are a must.

• I found this Informative 1