Shark Teeth Near Fort Worth

Jaxdaddy

Does anyone know what formations yield shark teeth in Tarrant county. I am looking to find a few for my collection. Any help would be appreciated.

Nope. But if you ever come down to Austin I can show you where to find some--and megalodon teeth

I may just have to take a trip to austin in the near future. I would love a Meg tooth!!

Nope. But if you ever come down to Austin I can show you where to find some--and megalodon teeth

BobC.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of megs being found in Texas. Not asking for any specific locations but curious to the general area/environment in which the teeth are found. I've heard/seen Great White teeth from the state but never megs.

Thanks

Fossilselachian.

O_O I would be very interested in taking a trip to Austin to find some teeth--it's a 2 hr drive from where I live.

First of all, your not my Daddy! ;)

Look up Lance Halls web page. He has a bunch of good info. I hunt that often in those formations in ft worth, but i remember a few weeks ago, Lance found a few teeth in or near some duck creek form.

First of all, your not my Daddy! ;)

Look up Lance Halls web page. He has a bunch of good info. I hunt that often in those formations in ft worth, but i remember a few weeks ago, Lance found a few teeth in or near some duck creek form.

They occur sporadically in most formations in the FW area, but I'd personally concentrate on the Pawpaw, Lower Britton, and Arcadia Park....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Jaxdaddy, you should probably look north of you for an abundance of teeth. They are few and far between in the Hill Country.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to try to get out for a while tomorrow. I have a few spots that I am going to check out. I will let yall know what I find.

i always wanted a meg tooth.if i drive from dallas where do i look.

Down

I am sorry had to say it. Welcome from Galveston Island

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Down

I am sorry had to say it. Welcome from Galveston Island

:rofl:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

So (Dan, Mike) if we were to actually be able to find megs in Texas would anyone have a good guess as to where to start?

I'd figure the only real chance would be on the spoil islands along the intercoastal.

Although I've heard of a couple of rumors about the Sabine R. having some mid-sized ones somewhere WAY up river from the coast.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

So (Dan, Mike) if we were to actually be able to find megs in Texas would anyone have a good guess as to where to start?

I'd figure the only real chance would be on the spoil islands along the intercoastal.

Although I've heard of a couple of rumors about the Sabine R. having some mid-sized ones somewhere WAY up river from the coast.

I haven't seen a meg from Texas, but I'm not saying that they don't exist. I would love to see a pic if anyone has a one??

[Although I've heard of a couple of rumors about the Sabine R. having some mid-sized ones somewhere WAY up river from the coast.

Really?? There is a chance to find a Meg in Texas?Well who would have thunk it :D

I thought the best we could do is a GW from the Tx coast.Wow you learn something new every day.

Now where is that secret location??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :):)

Hey O! George told me the other night that he had actually seen some, but they are few and far between and not like the monster ones from the eastern USA. So now, that makes two Texans I have talked to that have said they have seen them.

And if you are in Pasadena, you should go over to the public library and check out his display.

Location? Somewhere the Sabine and the Rio Grande. :P

sorry but I forgot about this thread.

My bad-- I'm sorry but I typed Magalodon when I meant Mausosaur teeth. My bad.. There is a housing complex on the East side of 35 where the contractors dug up hills and hills of a brownish dirt and just dumped it all in a field. I went to this site with members of the Austin Paleontological Society last winter and found a bunch of shark teeth and fish verts (completely different stuff from what I have found elsewhere in Central Texas)--and the other guys found Maus teeth. The shark teeth I found there were small--but one of the guys said that occasionally somebody would find a huge shark tooth in that debris, but those were rare.

Not sure if he was talking about megalodon teeth though.

Sorry for the confusion.

sorry but I forgot about this thread.

My bad-- I'm sorry but I typed Magalodon when I meant Mausosaur teeth. My bad.. There is a housing complex on the East side of 35 where the contractors dug up hills and hills of a brownish dirt and just dumped it all in a field. I went to this site with members of the Austin Paleontological Society last winter and found a bunch of shark teeth and fish verts (completely different stuff from what I have found elsewhere in Central Texas)--and the other guys found Maus teeth. The shark teeth I found there were small--but one of the guys said that occasionally somebody would find a huge shark tooth in that debris, but those were rare.

Not sure if he was talking about megalodon teeth though.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bob C:

Thanks for the clarification re megalodon in TX.

FS

I have a partial meg i found in texas.. (in my house!)

I have no idea where it came from, but someone in my family has found it. not sure who, not sure when, not sure where!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Brown dirt with shark teeth in Tarrant County is probably Pawpaw fm.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi Dan--I'm talking about an area just North of Austin, probably considered Round Rock. Either Lee County ot Bastrop county

It is quite clear that I have single-handedly turned this once-coherent thread into a nightmare of misunderstanding. I am too stupid to be allowed to live.

i like the thread. it's funny.

here, you can wear my hat for twenty seconds...

<handing cap and echies almost to bobc, then snatching them back>

gotcha.

It is quite clear that I have single-handedly turned this once-coherent thread into a nightmare of misunderstanding. I am too stupid to be allowed to live.

:rofl:

Send me all of your fossils before you go!..... :P

OMIGOD!! You guys are worse that the buzzards I saw circling overhead when I fell off that cliff this weekend!! At least the buzzards were willing to wait until I actually expired...