Mystery Fossils Revealed !!!

RJB

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Why do You have to stake Your firewood? Is the wind that bad up there?

Lots of opportunistic beavers in his area. They wait for you to cut the wood into snack-sized treats and then they come eat it. :P

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Lots of opportunistic beavers in his area. They wait for you to cut the wood into snack-sized treats and then they come eat it. :P

:rofl:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ok, two different prep sessions and now another 10.5 hours into this thing, but I can almost see the end of this project?  In this first picture you can see that im almost done with the 'rock smoothing' but have left what I call the 'nightmare' section on the righthand legs.  There is a bit of some real nasty glue to work through and ive also decided to build some tippy tippy's on legs # 2 and 4.  Im also rebuilding some rock.  Belive you me, that glue is some nasty stuff on this side!!!   Not sure how nice it will work out, but its got to be better than leaving it as is?  In the second picture you can see what ive done.  Looks very ugly but in the end?  The last, 3rd picture you can see the crack where the split is still there and ive added some Rock-Ite to fill it in so it doesnt look so bad and once cured I will sand it even with the concretion.   Still got a few hour for this thing but I think I can do a fairly good job of finishing it up?  Time will tell.

RB

SplitcrabP.JPG

SplitcrabQ.JPG

SplitcrabR.JPG

That glue looks really bad! How does it react to abrading at high pressure? Any chance you could abrade it down deep enough to put in some filler afterwards? Anyways, the rest of the crab already looks great and I'm sure you'll find the right solution for the nightmare.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

32 minutes ago, RJB said:

@Ludwigia, with the glue being kinda rubbery, i would think that whatever media would simply bounce off?    and thanks Kris.

RB

I’ve used abrasive to take PVA and cyanoacrylate off specimens before. You have to push it pretty fast though (around 90 psi).

2 hours ago, RJB said:

@Ludwigia, with the glue being kinda rubbery, i would think that whatever media would simply bounce off?    and thanks Kris.

RB

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’ve used abrasive to take PVA and cyanoacrylate off specimens before. You have to push it pretty fast though (around 90 psi).

There you go. Like I said, high pressure. Maybe the fact that I use iron powder also helps.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:26 AM, Ludwigia said:

There you go. Like I said, high pressure. Maybe the fact that I use iron powder also helps.

Ive never used Iron powder before.  I do have some aluminum oxide.  but its too late for either.  Ive alread added my fako rock. 

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive never used Iron powder before.  I do have some aluminum oxide.  but its too late for either.  Ive alread added my fako rock. 

RB

Okey dokey. Do we get to see it?

Aaaaaaalrighty then!!!  There is now a total of 82.5 hours into this thing.   Its got  lots of problems, but all in all, it came out purty dang good.  I now have one, if not the only 8 tippy tippy  Tumidocarcinus gigantius crab in the whole freakin world!!   Woooooooop!!!  Wooooop!!!   im a happy camper,,, to say the least!   Im sure there are others, but it sure does sound good.  I had to rebuild two tips on two of the legs and some repair on the very tips of two of the other tippy tippy's and belive me,,,, it was a very tuff job!!!  Lots of concentration and being nervous at the same time.  I just took my time and went very slowly.  I had to beat up one of  the tippy's to match the leg it was coming off of to make it look like it belonged there but it came out purty good.  This little beauty is going into the collection for sure!!!!!    Now,,,, I know that the Fossil Forum cannot put a price on fossils,,,,, so im going to do it myself.  This little piece of cra-p is priced at,,,,,,,    $18,347.29.   Ha!!!  :)   I can dream. 

RB

SplitcrabS.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Well it did come out mighty fine! Nice job!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Well it did come out mighty fine! Nice job!

thanks man.  All I need now is another one?  Ha!!!

RB

30 minutes ago, RJB said:

Aaaaaaalrighty then!!!  There is now a total of 82.5 hours into this thing.   Its got  lots of problems, but all in all, it came out purty dang good.  I now have one, if not the only 8 tippy tippy  Tumidocarcinus gigantius crab in the whole freakin world!!   Woooooooop!!!  Wooooop!!!   im a happy camper,,, to say the least!   Im sure there are others, but it sure does sound good.  I had to rebuild two tips on two of the legs and some repair on the very tips of two of the other tippy tippy's and belive me,,,, it was a very tuff job!!!  Lots of concentration and being nervous at the same time.  I just took my time and went very slowly.  I had to beat up one of  the tippy's to match the leg it was coming off of to make it look like it belonged there but it came out purty good.  This little beauty is going into the collection for sure!!!!!    Now,,,, I know that the Fossil Forum cannot put a price on fossils,,,,, so im going to do it myself.  This little piece of cra-p is priced at,,,,,,,    $18,347.29.   Ha!!!  :)   I can dream. 

RB

SplitcrabS.JPG

Yummy, Yummy!!! That's a lotta hours!! I figure you're charging $222.39 an hour for your duties :P

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Yummy, Yummy!!! That's a lotta hours!! I figure you're charging $222.39 an hour for your duties :P

Yeah, I was just kidding about the price. I do like the 39 cents on the end of that though.  But really, it will never be for sale. 

RB

Just now, RJB said:

Yeah, I was just kidding about the price. I do like the 39 cents on the end of that though.  But really, it will never be for sale. 

RB

I was just kidding too :) I'd never part with something like that where a lot of TLC has gone into it.

I did that same calculation, then saw that you beat me to it, Roger. Remind me never to hire you to do any prep, RB!

Kidding aside, that is a treasure. Nice job. I'm sure it was worth all that time and effort, but I can't fathom it, myself. The only things I have invested anything near 82 hours into are spread out over years...

That crab came out beautifully, Ron. you're quite the artist to be able to see what to remove ... wow, what a nice job. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

An absolute beauty, you are the Michelangelo of the crab prep world - and I don't mean the pizza loving martial art turtle kind.

What a beauty! There are so many things to love about it - the crazy placement of the legs, the beautiful way the smoothed rock contrasts and frames the crab - those tippy tips...... and the marathon effort that went into it.

Any chance we can see a few more angles? The "face" and side on views? You did an amazing job with the paints and resto. I would never have known if I didn't know the story behind this....

Thanks for sharing your Journey Ron.

I am wondering if your specimen is a female. The only way to tell for sure is by looking at the underside, but the dominant claw is not vastly bigger than the other claw.

i have a paper about claw ratios in Tumidos and sexual differences (dimorphism). Yours is big alright but still an earlier instar so the difference could be less pronounced there too.

When does she or he take pride of place on the shelf?

Time to kick back with the appropriate beverage to celebrate your work.

I'll drink to that. Cheers Ron!

13 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The only things I have invested anything near 82 hours into are spread out over years...

I did do a crab that took 110.5 hours.  These crabs sure do take some time but add soooooooooo much to the collection.

10 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Any chance we can see a few more angles? The "face" and side on views? You did an amazing job with the paints and resto. I would never have known if I didn't know the story behind this....

Thanks Doctor Mud.   i will take some more pics at different angles and post them.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Absolute masterpiece!!:crab::thumbsu:

Wonderful preparation job (no surprise there.)!!

You are too kind my freind.

RB

I've been following this from the beginning and I just wanted to say that I absolutely love how it turned out! Those few weeks that you took off from working on it was torture, but it was well worth the wait. That is an amazing prep job! Well done and I hope to see more of your work in the future!