Trip To The Burlington Limestone Near Springfield, Mo

Ron E.

Crinus, a big thumzup to you. The crinoid-laden limestone wasn't quite as easy to find as I'd hoped, but when I found it, HOLY snarge!

post-1880-1248470273_thumb.jpg

How about this sweet little perfect calyx? It came loose from the mother rock very nicely, BTW, in just a bit of matrix, will be a proud addition to my cubicle collection!

post-1880-1248470295_thumb.jpg

Plus, I made an amazing discovery! Right in the middle of Mississippian fossils, a perfectly preserved dragonfly, with colors intact! I'm phoning the Smithsonian...;)

post-1880-1248470309_thumb.jpg

I have a TON of fossil-bearing matrix (including some for you, Seldom!). This cone is almost the size of a child's top. Anyone know what it is?

Brachs are HUGE in this rock! Double the size of the ones back home. Leads me to believe that my own Boone Limestone is much earlier Mississippian that the early Mississippian Burlington.

I'll be posting a ton more pics, but my poor, beaten-up, tick-bitten body has to recover enough to unload about 200 lbs. of rocks from my little Tercel.

Again, a big hearty thanks to Crinus!!!

Brachs are HUGE in this rock! Double the size of the ones back home. Leads me to believe that my own Boone Limestone is much earlier Mississippian that the early Mississippian Burlington.

I wouldn't assume that bigger = more ancient; could have been a different environment (water depth, etc...).

Good finds!!!

post-423-1248476844_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! You had a great load, it seems!

I wish I could go out hunting...

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex