Articulated Whale Vert In Mississippi And Echis

barefootgirl

Since I grew up in the SE US and lived for a period of time in the FL panhandle, I have always had an affinity for the Tertiary fossils found in GA, AL and FL particularly fossil shells. OF course I collect everything and in the early 90s found a very well preserved Basilosaurus vertebra which as of 2009 I have yet to prep and reconstruct the neural and vertebral processes. Because of this find, I have have an interest in the uper Eocene whales and recently found the following vids from popular tv science programs that give an idea of what these Eocene whales looked like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVq8cgse0fk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsdbOSESueU&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APNcBnGYmHU

Most of these vids concern the more well known Egyptian species, although B. cetoides from the US was similar and lived in the same Tethyes Sea which existed before Africa connected to Europe and S. America to N. America. In the vid that shows the excavation of the skeleton, notice the extended length of the vertebrae which is distinctive of Basilosaursus. Your Zhygorihza was about a third of the size of Basilosaurus and perhaps prey to it. Maybe this discussion will finally get my a** in gear to prep my vertebra.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thank you so much for all the info!! All of you guys are just to good!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest Smilodon

Miocene and Pliocene whale verts are a dime a dozen - even that complete. What you have there is a complete Eocene toothed whale vert. As the appraisers on Antiques Roadshow say, "Do you have any idea about the value?"

Well, at auction I'm sure it would go for $1,000. I know, you'll never sell it.

BTW a big pristine molar would go for $5k.

So where did you say that creek was???? :D

Miocene and Pliocene whale verts are a dime a dozen - even that complete. What you have there is a complete Eocene toothed whale vert. As the appraisers on Antiques Roadshow say, "Do you have any idea about the value?"

Well, at auction I'm sure it would go for $1,000. I know, you'll never sell it.

BTW a big pristine molar would go for $5k.

So where did you say that creek was???? :D

Oh, is that why Ron was so anxious and interested in finding a tooth from this thing!! Yeah he told me I had an awesome find.

I found that in a creek in Mississippi and thats all I know about the location.

Oh and no, I dont plan on selling it. I plan on being buried with it and a sack of Lee Creek spoils, so that I have something cool to look at and some teeth to find in the afterlife.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest Smilodon

To find only one pristine vertebra from a 40 foot long critter (in situ?) is quite unusual. Were I you, I'd set up camp there and spend a few weeks looking for more of that bad boy.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I will gladly sacrifice a weekend or two helping collect from that Mississippi stream/creek. Alabama and Mississippi need to stick together in our fossil collecting! :D

To find only one pristine vertebra from a 40 foot long critter (in situ?) is quite unusual. Were I you, I'd set up camp there and spend a few weeks looking for more of that bad boy.

Meanwhile...somewhere in Mississippi, Ron throws another shovelful of creek gravel out of his way. Amidst the sounds of cricket frogs, he hears his phone ringing....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I will gladly sacrifice a weekend or two helping collect from that Mississippi stream/creek. Alabama and Mississippi need to stick together in our fossil collecting! :D

We really tried to get hold of you. I was hoping we could meet up and hunt. Maybe next summer we can hit it. I bet Ron can get Ed to take us back down there.

Alfred North Whithead

Unfortunately, Im back in Texas now and schools about to start. Maybe next summer.

Alfred North Whithead

Count me in too. Don't ignore us Georgia boys!

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Hey Barefootgirl,

That vert is probably from a Protocetid or a Basilosaurid whale.

Bobby