A Shell Full Of Vivianite!

MOROPUS

They look wonderfull! Again with the Vivianite, imagine that calcyte substituted by greenish-blueish rectangular cristals.Wow! I`ve only seen them twice,and one of them belonging to FL! Then someone showed me some pictures of a Mammoth tusk replaced by vivianite,and a Gomphoterium tooth beautifull green aswell because the minerals were substituted by a vivianite mass! :o

If you see my post about the Geogetown, Ohio site; there is a complete suite of minerals found in the shells there; so I would guess that anything is possible in the roght environment.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Here are some Mercenaria that were replaced by calcite and became like geodes of calcite (dog tooth spar) inside. were in very sharp and hard coquina matrix. This calcite fluoresces under UV light. From near Okeechobee FL in a mine.

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

Wow..i love it.. :)

btw i have some from indonesia..

sig.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

We don't have any vivianite in this area, but I have been meanining(for years) to get out an outcrop that has acicular millerite(FeS). Perhaps, I will make the trip.

I will dig some acicular strontianite(geode) out of storage soon.

If you like them, try to find this in Ebay.There`s an Aussie man selling a group of them,and they aren`t very expensive! The thing with the opal, is that you have to mantain them wet, to admire their colour.Good look in Ebay! ;)