Latest Finds

Terry Dactyll

I had a quick look down south at the weekend and managed to find a nautilus and a 18" ammonite in Lyme Regis.. you can just see the nautilus poking through where the sea has eroded the rock away.... prepped from the other side upto the centre line this should be near perfect... for some reason the calcite replacement only occurs on one side of the shells from this bed... there is a heavy concentration of crushed ammonites quite close above it forming a continuous layer, maybe this has 'drained' the minerals that form help the calcite on the top side of the ammonite... I dunno, but its a consistent phenomina....I'll prep the nautilus first... ;) The ammonite will have to join the queue.... the duct tape is holding a bit that I might need or might not...lol... dunno until i start on it....

post-1630-1248711353_thumb.jpg post-1630-1248711391_thumb.jpg

On the way back I stopped off in beautiful Somerset not expecting to find anything I would want, but learning all the time whilst looking, and I found a 22" Metophioceras....theres a small section on the RH side that will need repairing but its a 'proppa donkey' for this section of coast.... I could barely see over the car bonnet i had that much weight in the boot on the way back.... Im sure this will get done after the nautilus unless something else 'more deserving' comes along.... you never know!......

post-1630-1248711423_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Wow, those are huge! Can't wait to see them when you finish prepping.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Dave Bowen..... Me too..... Im chomping at the bit to get going on them.... :drool:

Good grief those are big'uns! Good luck!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your interest Chaps.... Big'Uns! for sure.... :P ...

I'm on with the Nautilus... ;) .....

Hi There....You said you couldnt wait to see them finished, and neither could I ... As I said I would do the Nautilus first, I wanted to do something quick before tackling the long job....... Ive spent around 15 hours on it so far, and being smooth its a bit easier than the ammonites.... Im expecting that big one to take me 60 hours plus...... I couldnt believe the colour changes that occured in the shell as I uncovered it slowley, and its still got some of its origonal shell markings on, and then I realised how big it was and it was complete to the mouth border and a section of it was pyrite.... when i started to clean it up... well, this is one hell of a nautilus... :faint: Its not waxed yet, and I was afraid after waxing the pyrite may go dull, so I put a photo up so you can see it now.... ;);)

Cenoceras obesum Sinemurian (Lyme Regis)

post-1630-1248966151_thumb.jpg post-1630-1248966183_thumb.jpg

Wowsers! Great job on the clean up. Is that the pyrite exposed on the left hand side of the pic? What is the total diameter?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys....

Shamalama.... Yes the Pyrite is all down the left hand side.... I just measured it... 13 3/4"... I'd say its a.. 'propper donkey'... for a nautilus.... I'll post it on the latest prep thread when its completed....

Traviscounty.... I think it might be cheaper to buy it a plane seat.....lol... I once sent something lighter to America for a trade, and it cost me over £120 although on a serious note.... this quality they are few and far between, this is my 2nd decent one in 4 years of looking down there.... and the finish, it depends who has prepped it, theres some ruff preppers out there who disguise all their bodgeups very well......

If any of you are contemplating buying any liassic ammonites from the UK, send me a link to th website or a photo, I will always give you my experienced opinion....

Wow! Beautiful! Nice work, and nice find!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

<i have nautilus envy>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

<i have nautilus envy>

Ya me too! I would love to find even a little nautiluss but we dont have them :(

Oh................... :drool: WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! What a find, I am so happy for you and you've done a great job on the prepping. Thanks so much for showing us your treasure, it's just awesome!! :blush:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks for your kind words Guys & Gals...... Im ......'Chuffed ter Bits wi it Mysen'...... :faint: Ill get it finished next week sometime....

Being inspired by my latest find and prep job, I had my Nautilus head on when I went collecting... I had noticed this before but ran out of energy before I could get it, but no way was I expecting it to still be there... Maybe the size of the block they were in put people off having a go, and once I started getting the block down so i could budge it, the limestone fractured having its own agenda showing me some natural weakspots....although this enabled me to see the high quality of the calcite crystal preservation inside... It should look pretty good when finished... I managed to find another single nautilus and a sulciferites again, the rare flat one..... :drool:

Whats visible below is the back of the piece, which is pretty waterworn showing the sutures and body chambers, I will prep it from the other side... one nautilus sat ontop of another...It will get done 2nd, Im starting the big Meto I collected last time next...

post-1630-1249322760_thumb.jpg

Holy crepe, those are SO COOL! I'm drooling looking at it... mmm... pyrite fossils... :drool:

I bet that was a heavy load to carry!

Great preparation! It looks so shiny and neat, you are a master! I must bow to you and ask on thing...

what tools do you use for preparation.

Mesozoical..... Thanks for showing an interest and I got the double nautilus off in two chunks, you should of seen how big it was to begin with :o ...And it should be absolutely stunning, a true show stopper when its done.... although it has to wait, I have a rarity contained in VERY hard limestone, that may take me a month to do first....

Prep equipment.... Nothing magical, airpen, air chisel for bigger chunks and a stil saw for even bigger chunks... there is no separation layer between the matrix and fossil, its stuck like superglue...so every mm of rock has to be carefully skimmed off without damaging the 1mm thick calcite layer underneath... The secret is I think is to have a passion for what your doing.... It doesnt become a chore then, but a pleasurable experience.... :)

Man Steve, I've never really had a desire to go to the UK before. But, your mega inverts are a convincing argument. Extra effort is always the key. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

JohnJ..... I may at a glance, make it all look a ...'Tad Easy'..... but thats just my experience, and perhaps my ability to prep, as most people would have to pay out a small fortune to get them prepped.... but your very welcome to come and try your luck..... ;)...