Echies, Gyras, And Clams, Oh My!

Tracer Jr.

the tracer family took a trip to the texas hill country a while ago and i thought i would share some of the finds we made along the way. didn't spend too much time in any particular place, but made some pretty cool finds along the way.

the first several road cuts produced a variety of things, including a couple regular echies, irregular echies, and clams galore. (thats what you call them when you don't have any idea how to spell their scientific names.)

post-936-1248811952_thumb.jpg

post-936-1248812026_thumb.jpg

after a few detours to shopping malls etc. for the ladies, tracer and i got back on track and made a stop at another location to find a few things we have never found in this area, exogyras and pycnodonte oysters. tracer is very proud of his newest gyra, which he proudly named Gyra II. it is currently on display with Gyra, which was found several years ago in the north sulphur river.

post-936-1248811458_thumb.jpg

on to the best finds of the trip, lotsa loriolias (which we have never found before) and a funky echie that we also have never found before. i'll go ahead and announce to everyone that tracer discovered the funky echie and prepped it himself. i'm so proud!

post-936-1248811914_thumb.jpg

post-936-1248811105_thumb.jpg

overall a very fun trip and some cool fossils thrown in to make it even better!

Where's the video of the rolling echinoid blowing along in the wind?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice finds.

I just want you all to know that I have an opticular defect called davenoseeechies-itis.

That's why I have never found one.

Impressive Jr.!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

OOOOOOUUUUUUUUHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I see you've been to the Foram Farm. I hope you didn't slip like a Stooge on those round things. They're out there to discourage the deer from eatin' all the forams. Those Loriolias haven't seen-a-leg-do-pus like Solius......(ok, it was a weak stretch...call your dad, he's thinks on a different plane-than-us).

Looks like you didn't break your ankle finding everything. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Psst.... hey... can you just shovel everything you showed in your first pic into a box and send it my way? It looks like you had the pick of the litter if that is what the ground looks like in Texas. :wub:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Very nice finds.

I just want you all to know that I have an opticular defect called davenoseeechies-itis.

That's why I have never found one.

Impressive Jr.!

dave - go find the goodland and duck creek formations. hint - think an hour west. there are so many lonely echs in texas just waiting to be taken home and loved by someone.

the cool part is that some of them are absolutely perfect in preservation up there in north texas. just look at this little nest of urchins that i had to rescue from the goodland up there one time...

they were so happy when i prepped them!

post-488-1248816576_thumb.jpg

Yeah--your stuff is in almost perfect shape! Awesome--wish we had that kind of perfection around here--it is rare.

Would you say that you have a plethora or rather a bevy or perhaps a cornucopia of echinoids??

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

i'll let tj do his own reply, but dan, i've always been fond of that movie, "the three amigos". and so i'll have to go with "plethora" every time...

for those of you unfamiliar with that movie, you need to watch it, numerous times, until you understand the true meaning of life.

Hey TJ, ya did very good! :D

Love those echinoids and that looks to be a perfect Holectypus (think that's

what it is).

Welcome to the forum!

roz - i'm informed that it's coenholectypus planatus.

Thanks, Tracer!

Welcome to the forum!

thanks for the comments everyone. dan, i'm going to have to go with plethora too, since tracer seems to use it in most of his sentences.

sham, that location had a huge variety of fossils, but the echs and such weren't all found in that exact location. tracer spent a good while collecting everything he liked at the roadcut and putting it all together for a group photo. :)

sham, that location had a huge variety of fossils, but the echs and such weren't all found in that exact location. tracer spent a good while collecting everything he liked at the roadcut and putting it all together for a group photo. :)

tj - it is amazing how often you misremember the pristine places i find for you - walking on literal carpets of fossils, crunching echies underfoot with every step - serving you canapes and mineral water as you decide which fossils to have me fetch for your collection.

specifically, as i recall you told me to find every fossil i could and put them in one place while you waited in the air-conditioned car so you wouldn't have to sweat and could just pick out the ones you wanted from the group. i note that the only ones missing from the photo were the three undescribed echies and the megalodon tooth, so those must have been the only ones you ended up taking.

tj - it is amazing how often you misremember the pristine places i find for you - walking on literal carpets of fossils, crunching echies underfoot with every step - serving you canapes and mineral water as you decide which fossils to have me fetch for your collection.

specifically, as i recall you told me to find every fossil i could and put them in one place while you waited in the air-conditioned car so you wouldn't have to sweat and could just pick out the ones you wanted from the group. i note that the only ones missing from the photo were the three undescribed echies and the megalodon tooth, so those must have been the only ones you ended up taking.

hahaha, sounds like a sweet deal :D

Hey, thanks for the in situ pics, they help us feel like we are in Texas, without the lovely heat :P:D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

the tracer family took a trip to the texas hill country a while ago and i thought i would share some of the finds we made along the way. didn't spend too much time in any particular place, but made some pretty cool finds along the way.

the first several road cuts produced a variety of things, including a couple regular echies, irregular echies, and clams galore. (thats what you call them when you don't have any idea how to spell their scientific names.)

post-936-1248811952_thumb.jpg

post-936-1248812026_thumb.jpg

after a few detours to shopping malls etc. for the ladies, tracer and i got back on track and made a stop at another location to find a few things we have never found in this area, exogyras and pycnodonte oysters. tracer is very proud of his newest gyra, which he proudly named Gyra II. it is currently on display with Gyra, which was found several years ago in the north sulphur river.

post-936-1248811458_thumb.jpg

on to the best finds of the trip, lotsa loriolias (which we have never found before) and a funky echie that we also have never found before. i'll go ahead and announce to everyone that tracer discovered the funky echie and prepped it himself. i'm so proud!

post-936-1248811914_thumb.jpg

post-936-1248811105_thumb.jpg

overall a very fun trip and some cool fossils thrown in to make it even better!

In the first pic, most of the clams are Nerithea of various types (I can see at least two types), some Plicatulas, along with pieces of Turritella gasteropods, and echies.