Heat Stroke!

jax

So we got hit hard the past few days with rain, and boy did it do some good. I found a huge chunk of Kamp Ranch loaded with teeth, oh, and it has TWO Mosasaur teeth in it!!!!! This was 2 seconds after I handed Barry a chunk with FOUR Ptychodus teeth in it....... And a Cretoxyrhina mantelli, 1 1/2 inches long was found in a washout. Not a bad day other than the hummidity.....

Thanks for looking

Justin

post-221-1248820620_thumb.jpg

post-221-1248820661_thumb.jpg

post-221-1248820689_thumb.jpg

post-221-1248820724_thumb.jpg

post-221-1248820753_thumb.jpg

post-221-1248820775_thumb.jpg

post-221-1248820795_thumb.jpg

Are the rocks your looking in reworked sediments? most of the in situ pieces you show look like they were eroded out then quickly reburied but only after some tumbling and breakage.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

the kamp ranch limestone is a thin unit believed to have been the result of storm deposition.

Heat stroke is right.I got a call from JAX saying he was heading to the Kamp Ranch.I love shark teeth in matrix,so I veered South and we met up.We probably hunted for 30-40 minutes and had enough by then.Jax handed me my largest chunk of matrix and said there were 3-4 teeth on one side.He didn't bother to flip the piece over,but I did and saw the larger Ptychodus tooth sticking out.I showed it to him and quickly shoved it into my pocket :D Thanks for inviting me and that huge plate you came away with is awesome! I finally have some Kamp Ranch material...Woo-Hoo! The verts were a nice addition also.

post-417-1248825782_thumb.jpg

Very good finds! I love Kamp Ranch, one of my favorite

formations.

Welcome to the forum!

Very good finds! I love Kamp Ranch, one of my favorite

formations.

Gosh, I can see why.Extremely fossiliferous!

The mosasaur at the time of the Kamp Ranch was a little iguana sized critter so must be something else.

you know, as much as i like keeping specimens prepped in matrix, the number of fossils exposed sure makes me wonder what all's in there that isn't exposed. might just oughta cart truckloads of that stuff to your house and invest in a dozen or so chicago pneumatics...

The mosasaur at the time of the Kamp Ranch was a little iguana sized critter so must be something else.

to me the teeth are long and slender in their taper like plesiosaur teeth, rather than the more rapid taper of mosasaur teeth. but i do think that they are marine reptile teeth - just not mosasaur.

Cool piece of matrix, Justin. I have to agree with Lance and tracer; probably not mosasaur. At first blush, I'd say Enchodus or sawfish.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oh, I see how it is.... lol. I know where you went, and you didn't even invite me. ;)

Glad you did well, and I'll be there sometime soon. ;)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

you know, as much as i like keeping specimens prepped in matrix, the number of fossils exposed sure makes me wonder what all's in there that isn't exposed. might just oughta cart truckloads of that stuff to your house and invest in a dozen or so chicago pneumatics...

I have done that! :) and your right, there loads of teeth just under the surface. You just have to use good judgment on what piece to prep. This piece i will clean it up, but leave most as is. I have found some big teeth hidden a mm under the surface. I love this formation too!

And now that you say it, they do look more like Plesiosaur. I have found other teeth at this site that were reptile for sure, i always thought Mosasaur. I have one that is an inch wide, and would have been over 2.5inches.

I'll have to agree with Tracer. Looks like Plesiosaur to me, but I'm probably the kiss of death as I'm rarely right. <_<

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

So we got hit hard the past few days with rain, and boy did it do some good. I found a huge chunk of Kamp Ranch loaded with teeth, oh, and it has TWO Mosasaur teeth in it!!!!! This was 2 seconds after I handed Barry a chunk with FOUR Ptychodus teeth in it....... And a Cretoxyrhina mantelli, 1 1/2 inches long was found in a washout. Not a bad day other than the hummidity.....

Thanks for looking

Justin

Way to go! That's a good size shark's tooth for Texas.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

So was that at the secret spot by the creek near the lake, west of the interstate

(I-20/30/35/45/635/820) on the west side of town and the east side of the other town,

near my brother's old house??? heh heh

:faint:

Great finds! I LOVE the Kamp Ranch, too. My favorite in the state!!! As you well know. :drool:

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

awesome teeth. haven't been able to find any up my way yet.

They are there, just have to get Snakekeeper to teach you how to look for them in all that white limestone! He is the zen master!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

They are there, just have to get Snakekeeper to teach you how to look for them in all that white limestone! He is the zen master!

You mean as in Deni-Zen...LOL...

How do you prep these pieces? with a dremel? or air tool?

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Looks like you all had a blast! Fun report to read. Congrats on the reptile teeth and that Cretoxyrhina rocks!

Kevin Wilson

How do you prep these pieces? with a dremel? or air tool?

I usally use dental picks to get the matrix near the teeth off. Some of this matrix is almost like sandstone, and just falls off easy, some is solid, And I have an air scribe for that. I have used a dremel, and engraver as well. I have the whole line up ;)

That Loose Cretoxyrhina is a monster! You dont find them like that around here much!

Nice teeth! I do not know anything about teeth so im not much help sry:(