D.N.FossilmanLithuania

I'm back....

So here are two in my collection. Both 100% Carboniferous plant. Yes, I know they aren't in coal but the similarities are there. The first is a leaf, if you only have half showing or matrix in the middle it looks kinda like a boney plate.

The second is showing tree 'skin' or bark if you wish, sry it's not the best specimen but it shows how much it can look like animal skin. I do have a better fossil showing the round scale/bumpy pattern, just can't find it yet.

20171123_180157.jpg

20171123_180616.jpg

20171123_180733.jpg

20171123_180741.jpg

20171123_180856.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

If algae can be found as a fossil, is liverwort ever collected as a fossil? This interesting pattern reminds me of those wonderful plants.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

It looks like a flattened pine cone imprint to me. The hardest thing to understand about fossils is that they could be distorted in the way they were buried. Something could have stepped on it and crushed it into the matrix.

34 minutes ago, Donna Straw said:

. Something could have stepped on it and crushed it into the matrix.

This is possible, unlikely, but possible.

It is much more likely that the 100's of tons of rock overlaying the fossils is what crushes them.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, old bones said:

If algae can be found as a fossil, is liverwort ever collected as a fossil? This interesting pattern reminds me of those wonderful plants.

I was thinking the same,liverwort or ginkgo. And yes they have found liverwort is most likely one of the oldest known land plant.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/1998/08/liverworts-original-landed-gentry

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys, 

I would think it can be also plant (maybe Lepidostrobus), but of course, looks similar to reptile skin. 

Reptiles in Late Carboniferous were quite rare, and dragonfly wing I think also has another ornamentation. 

Best Regards

Domas 

Dear Dewbunny,

I think I even have one imprint in Lithuanian erratic like your bark pattern showed. 

It is found in the marl erratic (in that rocks I know rhizodonts, clam shrimps and some plants).

Maybe you know which tree this pattern can belong to, or maybe it is another ichnofossil? :)

Regards

Domas  

S7302766.JPG