Shark Tooth Hunting Way Up North

Dave Bowen

Ok, I guess I'll start it... lol.

Wow! What a day. Snakekeeper (Barry) picked me up at 6:30, we loaded up and headed north. Ominous dark clouds loomed up ahead in the distance, but we were undeterred. We decided to suck it up and keep going. Just before we arrive, it hit. Rain. Well, it had been raining without us, but we just ran into it.

Being the hardcore fossiliers we are, we continued on down into the creek, gear in hand. We parked the gear under the bridge, and started the day. I trapsed in neck deep water down river in search of a couple of quality septarian nodules, while Barry immediately began using his bright shiny new Sift-o-matic 2000. Ok, it was about knee deep, and waist deep in a few places, but that didn't really warrant the Jaws music like Neck deep does.

When I returned to base camp, I see Barefootgirl and Sandalsgirl (Tara and Sierra) just upriver. (see enclosed pictures) B) Just kidding. There are no pictures.

After a while, Ken comes along and joins the posse. We all do our sifting, crawling, peeing in the water that isn't going anywhere... :rofl: Classic! I'm running out of filler material here, so I'll get to the meat and potatoes of this.

Sierra found the monster trip maker of the morning with her MONSTER ptychodus tooth! I mean it was huge!

Barry found some killer perfect large teeth, not to mention a boat load of them. And Ken... Wow! Ken found some enormous teeth in the large gravel, and not one but TWO large spear points! I saw the first one, which had the pointed end broken off, but the rest was just perfect. I was told by my KGB news source that he found another one after the rest of us left.

Me? Well, I found a ton of teeth, and probably less than anyone else there, so I know they found like.. two tons. I did find a perfect little goblin tooth with both side cusps intact, among a few other pristine teeth. Hopefully everyone will post up some pics of what they found, because like a goofball, I put mine away without taking a picture of them.

The other highlight was when we were all standing in the creek when a torrential downpour ensued. It's funny how times change, as many moons ago, people would search for shelter from a rain like this. Us fossil hunters, scrambled to find zip lock bags to put our phones in, and kept hunting shark teeth. ;)

I'll end this with my sincere thanks to Barry for picking me up, and inviting me in the first place, to Tara for the bag of crack, (hehe) to Ken for the awesome STH teeth he gifted me, and Sierra for keeping me company while everyone else was off hoggin up all the good shark teeth... lol. 8 full hours of hunting. The fossil gods were looking over us today, kept the sun and heat off our backs, and allowed good friends to once again, make more memories, and return safely with our prized treasures.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Do we get to see some pix??? I NEED to see Sierra's monster ptychodus tooth! It's an addiction thing - just ask MikeD, Jax or Barry! :drool:

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Do we get to see some pix??? I NEED to see Sierra's monster ptychodus tooth! It's an addiction thing - just ask MikeD, Jax or Barry! :drool:

Trust me, he needs to see it. :drool:

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics myself. Sounds like a great trip.

Sadly, i didnt make this trip, i had to work. Doesnt seem like this group has jobs ;).

Oh, i saw the pic of the monster, and yeah, its big!! :drool:

Dave, the neck deep water, i figured you were crawling down the creek on your belly. I hope you added more ptychodus to your collection

Well Makoken decided that he wanted to do the POC.A few phone calls later and then there were five.We couldn't have asked for better weather this day.Dave and I were kinda concerned when about five miles shy of our destination the skies opened up.Being from Texas we knew that we must continue on because our weatheremen get paid to lie......well most of the time.We all had a wonderful time down in the creek and found some nice material.Baby Barefoot came away with the find of the day.A huge Ptychodus tooth that was not the usual Whipplei that are usually found there.Thanks everone for a very nice day in the creek. I'm ready to go back!

post-417-1248963506_thumb.jpg

I was there last Saturday and found a bunch of teeth too. And one very nice perdiz arrowhead in perfict condition.

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

I was there last Saturday and found a bunch of teeth too. And one very nice perdiz arrowhead in perfict condition.

The occasional lithic artifacts are a nice bonus.Have any pictures of the point????

The occasional lithic artifacts are a nice bonus.Have any pictures of the point????

not yet, but I can tonight

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

Nice digs Barry! I like the number of ptychodus you found! Did you leave any for Dave?

Kknight, you know better than bragging about a point, and then not shareing that pic... ;)

Very nice finds......I gotta get back out there. It's been a while and I'm missing it. I sense a trip coming up soon.

Yes, they left exactly two ptychodus for me. I found both of them. ;)

However, I am the only one who found a fish while sifting! The moment he flopped out of the screen, I knew this was no ordinary fossil!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Keep forgeting to post the pic. Been buying new car.

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight